Tabs opening in a minimised safari window, not the active one.

Reaction score
Help!
I usually have two webpages open, the one I'm not using is minimised. Whenever I click on a link in an email or something instead of opening a new tab in the active window, it opens a tab in the minimised one (it maximises first, of course).

Technically it should be easy to fix - tick/untick the box at the bottom of the general preferences in Safari (opening 'new tab in current window', or something), but (why I'm not sure) my preferences is missing that bit (so ALWAYS opens in the 'not current' window)- preferences instead stops after the downloading preferences (think result of safari5?).

Also, my tabs preferences are already set to automatic if that means anything.

(Picture is of my general preferences page - note preference bit missing at the bottom)

Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix?
Thanks.

Screen shot 2010-10-25 at 4.07.43 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sounds like a problem with Safari preferences, so replace the plist file (com.apple.safari.plist) found in YourHomeFolder/Library/Preferences

Close Safari
Move the file to the Desktop, for safekeeping.
Re-enter Safari. This creates a new default plist file.
Now is it better? If so, delete the plist from the Desktop, it was corrupt.
If not, you can put it back, overwriting the new one. (If you changed a bunch of stuff and want it back the way it was.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.