mouse jumps across screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
with the new powermac my cursor randomly jumps from one side of the screen to the other, usually triggering some expose action which can be a pain....

maybe it is my dell mousepad :( but most likely not....i have played a bit with settings and everything is up to date....

this is an apple one button mouse connected to the keyboard...

TIA
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
coach_z said:
with the new powermac my cursor randomly jumps from one side of the screen to the other, usually triggering some expose action which can be a pain....

maybe it is my dell mousepad :( but most likely not....i have played a bit with settings and everything is up to date....

this is an apple one button mouse connected to the keyboard...

TIA
-chris

No, it's not your mousepad. It happens to me too, and since you asked...i want to find out as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Happens with my wired mighty mouse with my iMac. Not found a solution yet hence my resurrection of this post. Every so often, perhaps once every 15 minutes, the cursor suddenly shoots to one of the top corners of the screen.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
sawday this is sure one heck of a resurected post!!! lol

this most likely has to do with the surface that your mouse is on....if it is catching something that has any sort of a reflection on it your mouse will probably freak out and send your cursor elsewhere without you wantint to move it at alll

-chirs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
sawday this is sure one heck of a resurected post!!! lol

this most likely has to do with the surface that your mouse is on....if it is catching something that has any sort of a reflection on it your mouse will probably freak out and send your cursor elsewhere without you wantint to move it at alll

-chirs

Agreed - optical mice have a tendency to be jumpy on any surface with a sheen to it. Try using it on a matte (fabric) mouse mat and I'll bet you'll never have the problem again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Result! Turned my shiny mouse mat upside down and it hasn't jumped once (yet). Thanks guys.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
no problem!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
it used to happen to me all the time, now since i got a mouse pad it hasn't happened since. This is weird cause I've always been able to use a laser mouse without a mouse pad.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
it used to happen to me all the time, now since i got a mouse pad it hasn't happened since. This is weird cause I've always been able to use a laser mouse without a mouse pad.

That's because laser mice don't suffer from this problem, only normal optical mice (which use LEDs).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.