Messed my Mac G4 PPC up

Reaction score
I have a Quicksilver with OSX 10.4 on it,Ram 1GB and Hard drive 120GB and 80GB.
Now i got a cheap later G4 with Mirrored DVD Door and Dual Processor, Ram 512 and a 60 GB Hard drive.
So i had the Idea,as Dual Hard drive and beter Cooling looks me good,to put the Hard drives and a beter DVD/CD Drive over and give the Quicksilver to the Scrapyard.
Both have OSX 10.4.
Well,the Quicksilver has two hard Drive and i could just get one in. 120Gb.Thats OK.Need other Holder for last HD to fit in.
Ram doesn't fit in,so it just on 512GB now.
Everything OK?
Well,i left the old DVD/CD Drive too,which writes just "+" Disc
Connected all Cable,started and Screen gets on with nothing showing.
Well,so my Idea both HD have Tiger on,but everyone with other Lisence Number.Thats wrong? or what?
Have the Install Disk for my Quicksilver,but on which HD is it stored? On the 80GB i have still here or on the 120Gb i fitted.
Any Idea what i have to do to get them running? Dont buy Ram's yet.Will wait how he does,and upgrade then with 4x 512 Gb ram

Reaction score
The Quicksilver memory is not the same as the MD. The Mirrored Door has DDR memory and a faster bus. The duel processor will only work with Apps that require it,other wise its nothing special. The master HD has to be set to master. The HD with the OS on it is the master. Why do feel the need to scrap the Quicksilver? If it works use it. Im posting with one right now.

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Thanx for the Answer.
Yes,you are right. I couldn't use the Ram as its others build up,but i used the 120GB Hard drive as second.
Now,it could be that on both is OSX 10.4 on.
I connected all Cable.Thats the Broad Cable,i put on both HD,and the Boundle also on both Hard drives.
Have i fitted a Cable too many?
When i start it starts running,Van is on,Monitor gets kight but nothing on the Screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did the MDD work before you started swapping out parts? Answer that and we can move on to help you.

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Yes.Both,The Quicksilver,as well as the Mirrored Doors worked propperly,but the Mirrored Door had just a limited CD/DVD Drive,nor Floppy Drive and only 512 Ram
The QS had 1GB Ram 2 Hard drive,New CD/DVD Drive and Floppy,but is older and has just a Single Processor

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Watched first Video how to do it twice,checked out and looked easy.But did not do the Floppy drive in.Have now two CD/DVD Drives,as i will fit a Soundcard for Music Recording

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As was said Mac SK, the MDD uses totally different RAM. PC2100 DDR on the early ones and maybe PC2700 on that last 1.42Ghz Dual MDD. Your Quicksilver uses PC133 SDR memory. You will have to purchase more PC2100 DDR. What are the specs on the MDD?

Do you have the hard drives jumpered correctly?

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Well,i dont understand much about Computers.
The Ram memory i have to buy new. Can't swap over.
The hard drive i swapped is a 120 Gb. Cable fit propperly,and attachement on Hard Drive Holder are ok too,to fix them with 4 Philips.
At moment i have 2 x Memory fitted,together 512
I was thinking hard drives are ok to fit here and there.
Have a G3 where on the Creens are two discs shown,i can decide which hard drive use which Software. So i expected to get that here too.
Have on the G3 the soundcard i will swap over later,or get me a new one.

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
What means jumpered?
Fitted them in the Holder with 4 Philips,fixed the Holder with 2 Hard drives with one Philips,connected the wide Cable on Both and the Cable-Bundle on both,closed Machine,connected all Cable and started.

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Write now on a iMac g4 Lamp design.
have 2 G3 here.One with soundcard and other with monitor. Blue/White
Thinking in swapping G3 Hard drive in Quick silver and spend them away with the Blue/White + big monitor,and run Sound Recording on Mirrored G4.
Thats why i started.Otherwise had the Quicksilver more Ram,but is older,and i don't need 6 Computer at home

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are jumpers on IDE hard drive to set the drive for Master, Slave or Cable Select. If both drives are set for Master, you will have an issue. Same if they are both set to Slave. What brand and model are the hard drives?

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
Well,I didn't look for the Name of them,but i remember as you say it,the Lad on the video pluged a Wide cable in the one and a Cable bundle in the other Hard drive,but as i have for both Hard drive wide Cable a Cable bundle i used both.
Is place for 2 more hard drive in that machine.

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
OK,i removed the wide Cable from second Drive,let wide Cable on Main drive,as well Cable Boundle on both drive.
Works now.
Came on much more Slow as normal,till Screen is alight,but then quickly Apple on Screen.Needs then longer to do the OSX and Safari didn't load.
Took opera and was quickly on.
DC/DVD drive works only the old,New's not doing.May be the same as there are also on everyone a Wide Cable and a Cable Boundle.
Now,try to sort that out the next days and buy me 4 Ram Memories.
we have an Apple centre here around the Corner.
Next i'll put Hard Drive from G3 Blue white in the Quicksilver.Has 1 GB Ram,so shall be ok to put OSX 10.1 on,i have the Disc here,and spend them away,if he works,and the other G3,with the big monitor.Think is Mitsubishi. Blue white,looks nice.Keyboard are Button "6" and "C" missing. Otherwise for a Collector.Runs well,and do nothing on them.give away too.Don't know yet to whom.
But,Thanks for your help/
Didn't think on the Cable

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well,i dont understand much about Computers.

This probably would have been a very good reason to not have started this project in the first place.;)

If you don't understand automobile engines...you don't just jump in there & start taking things apart...same logic can apply to computers!;)

I happen to work on both...car engines & computers...both hobbies.:)

- Nick

OP
Tyroler
Reaction score
I'm learning a new Hobby :)

Well,Thanx. G4 works very well. Have also Sound card fitted,Software downloaded and hope everything is working now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.