Refurbed? (iPhone)

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what the general consensus of getting a refurbished iPhone from Apple is.

I bought my 32GB 3GS in June from a friend who used it for a year and kept it in MINT condition, on Thursday I dropped it from approx. 5ft from my locker at work...it landed on a concrete hard floor and knackered the power button and back case (I'm so freaking angry with myself for being so clumsy). We have since had it opened up to investigate further and since putting it back together have discovered that the screen doesn't light up properly so I'm guesstimating it would need a power button, back case and screen. Right now I have no phone and it's killing me!

I don't want to waste my time and money trying to get it repaired as Apple wouldn't touch it now so I would have to take it to a 3rd party repair shop and only get 1 months warranty on the repair.

What do you think about paying the £139 to an Apple Genius Bar and getting a refurbished iPhone, has anyone got a good experience with this? My only concern is how good refurbished phones are will they last as long as a phone that has never been broken? :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum and added (iPhone) to title.

Refurbished products purchased from Apple are as good as new items. They have the same warranty - and you can even add Apple care. Just don't drop them 5 Ft onto a concrete floor as they will suffer the same damage as a new one would.... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
I think it would be worth your while to look up what their definition of "refurbished" is, or even just ask at the store. From my experience refurbished phones are usually just phones that have been purchased, used and returned under the 30-day buyer's remorse policy. Good luck!

OP
oPIXIEo
Reaction score
yeah, very huge lesson has been learned...Someone needs to invent a oPIXIEo-proof case, I'm a nightmare for breaking stuff :(

I'm desperate to get something sorted, I cant stand not being able to play with my toy...ahem...sorry, iPhone at any given moment :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
No issues with refurbed iPhone. They work just as good, or better than new. The refurb carries same warranty as new, as well as support. Replace your iP4 and be happy! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Wife and I just ordered 2 16GB iPhone 4s yesterday. Looking forward to our good-as-new iPhones!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.