Wi-fi not working with WS 7 Pro in Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a mid-2008 Macbook, 250GB HDD, 2.4Ghz processor, 4GB RAM with installed 2 partitions: 1) OS X SL v.10.6 2) Bootcamp partition with Windows 7 Professional (at 60GB space) and Bootcamp v.3.1. My "network adapter" is "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter".

Additional info: my DSL and WLAN router is not great (but cannot replace it) and I have to go through Google's DNS rather than using the default DNS. My internet provider is Alice.de (Germany), if that may help more.

Now the problem: I try to connect to my home wireless connection under Windows 7 Pro but I can't (wi-fi in SL works as a charm). If I connect with an Ethernet cable, I am happily online. Thus, I suspect it's an issue with the wi-fi connection.
The OS sees all the wireless connections but when I click on on my home connection I receive the following output: "Windows was unable to connect to this network", though it should ask me the WPA password for my network.

I already tried:
- re-install bootcamp drivers
- update network adapter drivers
- use all the troubleshooting procedures available

Nothing worked so far. Any hint on how to solve the issue?

Thanks a lot!

Mauro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have set the option in Windows networks correctly:

*Allow Windows to control the network (sorry, I'm not in Win 7 right now so I can't remember exactly where this is or the precise wording)

Without that option set, Windows will not connect or try to assign the connection via wireless. Ethernet is not affected.

Edit: You'll find the options listed in Control Panel -> Network Center. You may have to juggle things around a bit but there is where you should be able to get your wireless going.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

could you be a little more specific? I spent the whole night trying all different options but it did not work.

What do you mean with "allow windows to control the network"?

Thanks a lot!

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to open the Network and Sharing center from Control Panel. Then click on "Setup a new connection or network". Then select the first option at the top and follow directions. I can't go thru the steps here because I'm already connected but that's the proper way to allow Windows to control your network.

Something else you might try: Turn off WPA from the router and allow the signal to be broadcast in the clear to see if you can connect. We know the connection from your ISP is good because you can connect via ethernet. So there must be something else which is preventing you from connecting wireless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.