Stop image capture from starting when iPad connected

Reaction score
No matter how often I choose "No Application' from Image Capture's "Connecting this iPad opens" drop-down, it never works. Next time I plug in my iPad, Image Cap pops up again, and the drop-down has reset to "Image Capture". Very annoying.

I've tried deleting com.apple.Image_Capture.plist, and a few other things. But Image Capture is stubbornly determined to fire up every time I connect the iPad.

This doesn't happen with attached cameras (ie. with them Image Capture obeys whatever I set it to).

Any ideas re why this might be or how I might prevent it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried changing the option in iPhoto? The option is identical to the one in Image Capture, but in iPhoto it could be set to open Image Capture and that setting could very well be overriding the option in Image Capture itself.

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the option in iPhoto? The option is identical to the one in Image Capture, but in iPhoto it could be set to open Image Capture and that setting could very well be overriding the option in Image Capture itself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of this, but I've just checked into it and iPhoto is also set to opening 'no application'.

Image Capture seems to be a very stubborn utility!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
IPhoto is the place where this option is set. Try changing it to something else, close the window, open it back up and change it bck to No Application. If that doesn't work, I'd try trashing the iPhoto plist file.

OP
C
Reaction score
IPhoto is the place where this option is set. Try changing it to something else, close the window, open it back up and change it bck to No Application. If that doesn't work, I'd try trashing the iPhoto plist file.

Thanks, I've tried all that (on your suggestion). Image Capture just won't go away!

Close to giving up and just accepting that I'll have to hit cmd-Q every time I plug the iPad in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What version of OS X and which version of iPhoto are you using? I'll try some experimenting, but it may not be untill the weekend.

OP
C
Reaction score
What version of OS X and which version of iPhoto are you using? I'll try some experimenting, but it may not be untill the weekend.

Thanks. Don't spend too long on it unless you're curious for its own sake, as it's more a minor annoyance than anything.

I'm using iPhoto '08 on Snow Leopard. I'm also running iOS 4.2 beta 3 on my iPad, which shouldn't make any difference. Strange though that this only happens with the iPad (attaching cameras is well-behaved).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.