Macbook Pro Battery question

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 15".

model identifier is macbook pro 2,2

My problem is if I don't have this laptop plugged in, it dies after like 35 minutes. I was wondering, if I get a new battery, will that let me keep it unplugged for a few hours, or at least longer than 30 minutes, without it dying?

And if so, where do I buy a battery at?

thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your battery is probably worn out..so a new battery would certainly improve things.

As far as where to get a new battery haven't you considered your local Apple Store (if you have one)...or ordering one from the Apple website??

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
OK yeah I will probably do that, there is just this other place I bought Ram at one time that was really good. But I can't remember the website.
thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK yeah I will probably do that, there is just this other place I bought Ram at one time that was really good. But I can't remember the website.
thanks!

If they sell genuine Apple batteries then great...otherwise non-Apple batteries can be problematic.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
so should I be trying to get this battery at this link:

Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

If that is correct, it seems kind of simple. I mean, that is what I take out whenever I clean my laptop.

Is that all I need, or is there a different type of battery I need, like one that is tougher to install?

Sorry for the questions but apple tech support is not picking up the phone for me. thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Hold alt and click the battery status in the top right of the screen, it will show the status of the battery (usually "Condition: Normal"), you can click the the condition to show all results and their meanings!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so should I be trying to get this battery at this link:

Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

If that is correct, it seems kind of simple. I mean, that is what I take out whenever I clean my laptop.

Is that all I need, or is there a different type of battery I need, like one that is tougher to install?

Sorry for the questions but apple tech support is not picking up the phone for me. thanks!

Replacing the battery in your Macbook Pro is easier than changing the batteries in a flashlight...it doesn't get much easier!!!

Just buy the battery, replace it...and you're good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
15th evimalio

Buzzard,

When I click the battery icon in the top right it is actually selected to "Better Energy Savings" not Normal.

What does that mean though? Should I have it on Normal? Not sure what to do about that.

Nick,

OK. I will buy that battery then. But if you suspect it might not help my issue, of having only like 30 minutes to use my computer when it's unplugged, can you please let me know? Or can you tell me what you think my issue could be?

I'm just not sure what getting a new battery will achieve, and I don't want to buy a $120 battery if it won't fix my problem.

See the reason I'm skeptical is because initially you said my battery is probably worn out. But it seems to me that it is definitely worn out, seeing as how it only lasts thirty minutes without being plugged in. Right now, I just always have to keep it plugged in.

I was wondering, is there a way to figure out how worn out my battery is, by clicking something or some icon? Clicking the icon in the top right, doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for because that just says

Better Energy Savings
Normal
Better Performance

But as far as I can tell, none of that describes how worn out, or old, my current battery is. Any clarification is much appreciated. Thank you for all your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See the reason I'm skeptical is because initially you said my battery is probably worn out. But it seems to me that it is definitely worn out, seeing as how it only lasts thirty minutes without being plugged in. Right now, I just always have to keep it plugged in.

I'm not sure I see where the disagreement is! I said I think that your battery is worn out...and you said that you agree that your battery seems to be worn out...so why are you skeptical?

I said probably, and you said definitely. Nothing is 100%...and consider we're communicating over the internet...so I haven't even seen or touched your computer...so I'm not going to say DEFINITELY 100% your battery is worn out. All I can say is it is probably worn out.

It's just like if you were having problems with your car...an told me what the symptoms were. The best I can do being 100's or 1000's of miles away is say what the problem may or possibily may be...I certainly wouldn't say that it is DEFINITELY xxxxx problem!

If you want a closer to 100% diagnosis...go to your local Apple Store and pay them to test your battery.

I was wondering, is there a way to figure out how worn out my battery is...

Download the program "Coconut Battery". It will give you an idea of how worn out your battery is.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
well I have appreciated all your help thus far. But I just wanted to point out on another forum they suggested to do this to find out my batteries health:

 > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Power > Charge Information

which seems way easier than downloading a whole program to figure that out. but anyways thx again!

OP
T
Reaction score
OK this is probably one of my last questions and it's sort of dumb but I just want to know for sure. I'm trying to order a new battery and I'm wondering how can I tell if I have a macbook pro or a macbook pro aluminum?

I assume it would say Aluminum in the model name under about this mac, right? Well i just am trying to make sure I order the correct battery. thanks!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I just wanted to point out on another forum they suggested to do this to find out my batteries health:

 > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Power > Charge Information

which seems way easier than downloading a whole program to figure that out. but anyways thx again!

Yes...that method will work as well...but the program "Coconut Battery" displays the info in a MUCH more user friendly manner...using graphics & bar graphs to make the info much more visually intuitive.:)

Downloading the program is very easy...it's very small...and it's free!:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
ok guys i need your help again. Do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries? I can't do it through mac's website because they won't ship to PO Boxes. do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries?

thx!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK this is probably one of my last questions and it's sort of dumb but I just want to know for sure. I'm trying to order a new battery and I'm wondering how can I tell if I have a macbook pro or a macbook pro aluminum?

I assume it would say Aluminum in the model name under about this mac, right? Well i just am trying to make sure I order the correct battery. thanks!!

How do you know you have an "aluminum Macbook Pro"?...the housing of the Macbook Pro is made of aluminum. Pretty simple!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok guys i need your help again. Do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries? I can't do it through mac's website because they won't ship to PO Boxes. do you know of any websites that sell mac batteries?

thx!

Stuff to consider:

- Do you have a local Apple Store you can get a battery from?
- Could you ship the battery to where you work?
- For other places that sell batteries...try doing a Google search for "Apple Batteries"...and see what you find.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro i7____ imac i5____ iPhone 3Gs
You could also try to see if there's something open that shouldnt be (taking up your CPU).
I had this problem recently and found out that my battery was fine eventhough i was getting a lot less hours than i should be.

Go to spotlight (top right corner) - > Activity monitor.
If you open this you see a list of activities and their CPU% usage. See if there's anything that looks unusual.

(This might not help at all, but it could also save you the cost of a new battery)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.