Another broken screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Broke the screen on my 3gs again, but this time I'm days away from the end of my warranty so I'm gonna tackle it myself.
I ordered this Amazon.com: iPhone 3gS Screen Repair Kit : Apple iPhone 3gS Lcd Glass Screen Cover with Touch Screen Digitizer, Frame, Home Flex Button, Ear Speaker and Tool: Cell Phones & Accessories
and will follow this manual Installing iPhone 3GS Front Panel Assembly - iFixit

My question is, has anyone ever done this? Any luck? It looks fairly straightforward but any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Reaction score
I know people who have done it. I also know there are a lot of instructional videos on Youtube you could follow. I have seen one guy do it in like 5 mins with no problems whatsoever. There are people on eBay who will provide a screen fixing service if anything goes wrong with yours.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
this time I'm days away from the end of my warranty ....

Sorry I am confused as to why tackle it yourself if its still in warranty ??

More chance of MORE to go wrong wit it..... IMO
I leave it to the experts if i can or still in warranty ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Would the screen be included in the warranty anyway? If it is cracked they won't replace it and i'm not sure if they will fix it for free either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're right, accidental damage is not covered under the warranty. And very seldom does a screen crack unless it was mishandled in some way. Others have replaced the screen themselves, do a search on the topic and you should get some hits.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Correct, the screen crack is a 199usd out of warranty fix. The parts and tools came to 34 bucks. I fixed it this morning with great results. Very simple, small parts were a little difficult to handle but wouldve been easier with nimbler hands. If it happens to anyone reading this have no fear, a retard could do it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Correct, the screen crack is a 199usd out of warranty fix. The parts and tools came to 34 bucks. I fixed it this morning with great results. Very simple, small parts were a little difficult to handle but wouldve been easier with nimbler hands. If it happens to anyone reading this have no fear, a retard could do it.

Awesome...congratulations!:) I love it when I see users successfully repair their own computers!

Now let's not break the screen a 3rd time!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.