Reformatting Mac OS X - - iLife Included?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall Mac OS X Leopard onto the laptop. I want to make sure that when I reformat the hard drive, apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, etc etc will still be available.

Here's where I am:
When I get to the "Select a Destination" Where I want to install Mac OS X window, I select the hard drive I'm about to format. I click options and choose "Erase and Install" and formatting disk as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I click continue and before I hit the Install button, I thought to look at the Customize window to see what is going to install by default.

This is what is selected by default:
Essential System Software, Printer Drivers, Additional Fonts, Language Translations, X11, and Bundled Applications. In the Bundled Applications check box, there is no check mark, instead there is a minus symbol. The only 'bundled application' that will automatically install is "CPU Help Files." The iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, and iMovie are grayed out and without any check marks.

I have two Mac OS X Installation Discs (Disc 1 and Disc 2). Is there another CD that I'm missing or will those apps be included in Disc 2? I want to make sure I'll still have those apps. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
iLife is a separate disc. Not included with OS X unless you purchased the Mac box set.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The apps are on one of the two discs that come with your machine (can't remember which one right now).

OP
Z
Reaction score
Here are the two Discs that I have - none of which say 'Applications DVD' or anything like that. Also attached are the options I have when I pop in Disc 1 or Disc 2.

I purchased the Macbook Pro that had iLife already built into it. Why wouldn't they include a CD though in case I need to reformat it?! Thanks!

IMG_20101024_150623.jpg

Install Disc 1.png

Install Disc 2.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I purchased the Macbook Pro that had iLife already built into it. Why wouldn't they include a CD though in case I need to reformat it?! Thanks!
The apps are on one of the two discs that come with your machine (can't remember which one right now).

The apps are on disc one as "bundled software."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
iPhoto, Garageband etc etc are included in the ilife package, which is separate from the OSX install dvds, have to buy it separately!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi

I'm about to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall Mac OS X Leopard onto the laptop. I want to make sure that when I reformat the hard drive, apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, etc etc will still be available.

I guess my question is "why?". A lot of us long time Windows users are accustomed to this ritual of maintenance reinstalls to clear up the cobwebs. In almost all cases, it's just not necessary with a UNIX-based OS. There is no registry and seldom is the base OS modified in any significant way (aside from regular system updates). Almost any "freshening" can be done simply by creating a new user account and deleting the old.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.