Getting my old iMac G 5 future ready

Reaction score
In a few day, my beloved iMac will be three years- no more warranty.

I have upgraded my regular mouse to a mighty mouse, I've upgraded my OS system from Leopard to Snow Leopard and I've doubled my memory from 1 to 2 GB. It has 2 GHZ processor.

Have I forgotten something? I hoping i can get another three years out of it.

Is there anything else I can do to future ready my iMac? Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I've upgraded my OS system from Leopard to Snow Leopard...

If your iMac is a G5...then you couldn't have upgraded to Snow Leopard...since only Mac's with Intel cpu's can run 10.6 Snow Leopard. I'm betting that since it's 3 years old...it probably has an Intel cpu...and is not a G5.

Unless you're having issues...there's really no need to upgrade anything. Just upgrade as you needs change...but given what you listed already...I don't thing any more upgrades are necessary or possible.:)

By the way...if I've guessed correctly what iMac model you have...it can be upgraded to 4 gig of ram...but only 3gig is useable.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
you're right, is an intel mac not a G5. I will probably get to 4 Gb of memory in a couple of years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.