• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows'
Ballmer: our biggest gamble is the 'next version of Windows' | Electronista

Read the comments there. They are really good.
And in my opinion Fat Ballmer and co have an issue. Modernise their OS and risk people not upgrading cause of lack of backwards compatibility. Or just add minor updates and ensure all the old code and apps work. But doing that means their OS in essence does not improve and stays locked in the 2000's.

I think MS really need to do what Apple did with Classic -> OSX or PPC -> intel. Radically improve their OS but have a really good backwards compatibility mode. Like Classic or even better something even better like Rosetta. A windows version of Rosetta for the W8 will be the best thing. And in W9 and W10 they can slowly remove this Windows rosetta when most developers are making their apps for the new Windows architecture.

It's a big gamble for MS. Even fat Ballmer with his limited knowledge can realise this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
What's this thing called "Windows"?

I have 'em in my house but they're all leaky and let bugs in.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And viruses too. Heck those windows in winter let in the cold and can give people the flu.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They still keep on gussying up the interface, without addressing the rusted roots below. How much of a risk can that possibly be?

And it's not like you're ever going to match the elegance of OS X without exercizing total control over the hardware platform. So, why bother?

Ballmer is an absolute buffoon. May he remain at the helm of RMS Microsoft for as long as it takes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ballmer's biggest gamble is walking outside everyday. He's gambling that an angry mob isn't going to lynch him and string him up.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They still keep on gussying up the interface, without addressing the rusted roots below. How much of a risk can that possibly be?

And it's not like you're ever going to match the elegance of OS X without exercizing total control over the hardware platform. So, why bother?

Ballmer is an absolute buffoon. May he remain at the helm of RMS Microsoft for as long as it takes.

Well that's a catch 22. You need complete control over the hardware so you can fully optimise your OS for the hardware. But if MS made their windows fur use only with some new MS computer, then the workers from Dell, Acer etc would lynch him. Plus the fact the government would cry monopoly.

So it seems Ballmer can't win here. Unless he has much closer ties with the hardware manufacturers. And pretty much condenses the Dell, Acer etc lines to a small line on similar computers that can be easily be optimised by a future version of the OS.

I think it is very possible to make Windows 8 very good with the right hardware manufacturer ties. But is Ballmer smart to realise that the OS in itself is not the winner. It's the integration of software, hardware and the customer experience (ease of use of the OS, ie the UI and customer support.). I just don't think he gets this point.

This point of total integration and the ability to cut legacy support to move forward like Apple has done many times in the past is what MS need to do. But that only comes when you're customer focused and future focused (like Apple is) and not technology in itself focused and profits focused (like MS).

Reaction score
And viruses too. Heck those windows in winter let in the cold and can give people the flu.

Yep. And I can take a command-line rock and throw it into it and watch windows break. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
That's exactly what shareholders want to hear, Steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
o_O
the anti MS is strong in here... but seriously though, sticking with windows 7 and really fixing issues is great. but I would seriously support a windows 8 if it was a rebuild of the windows platform.

you can fix errors and bugs, but at a certain point you have to scrap it and redo from the bottom up.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right. Windows 7 itself is not a bad piece of software. MS just can't be the total package of hardware/software/customer support like Apple can. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
o_O
the anti MS is strong in here... but seriously though, sticking with windows 7 and really fixing issues is great. but I would seriously support a windows 8 if it was a rebuild of the windows platform.

you can fix errors and bugs, but at a certain point you have to scrap it and redo from the bottom up.

First, there are a lot of people here who use and like Windows (Especially 7). I use XP, Vista and 7 here on different systems.

I agree with you. MS has kept so much in Windows that goes back to the old days. It's time for a complete refresh. It WILL upset some people, but make for a much better and much more up to date Windows. I would fully support such a move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I'm not against Windows, I used it for many a year before realizing I prefer the Mac OS and Apple computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m
I think MS really need to do what Apple did with Classic -> OSX or PPC -> intel. Radically improve their OS but have a really good backwards compatibility mode. Like Classic or even better something even better like Rosetta. A windows version of Rosetta for the W8 will be the best thing. And in W9 and W10 they can slowly remove this Windows rosetta when most developers are making their apps for the new Windows architecture.

When Apple switched from PPC CPU's to Intel CPU's it was a hardware change not an operating system change.

I'm a Windows User and a Mac User. I've been using Windows 7 for over a year and a half and it is a lot better then XP and Vista. Sure there are some things about Windows 7 that I don't like (Along with OS X) but I don't think it needs to be completely redone. Just a few tweaks would go a long way.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When Apple switched from PPC CPU's to Intel CPU's it was a hardware change not an operating system change.

I know. But you missed my point. My point is seamless backwards compatibility for a while. And a while later when everyone has moved over to the new system you kill the backwards compatibility source. Cause no one will need it. Classic for example was useful for a while but when everyone moved over to OS X apps, the need for classic died. So Apple killed classic. And I think when the need for Rosetta goes away (ie. everyone makes UB or intel apps), Apple will kill Rosetta. Sure a few people with their (will be one day ancient) PPC apps will cry but for the other 99% of people who kept with the times there will be no issue at all.

It's all a case of correctly managing legacy OS code support and removing it at the right time. Apple have shown they know how to do this. MS are trying and they have done well to a point but they still have a long way to go to be on par with the smooth transitions Apple have when they introduce new architectures be them OS or hardware based.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Microsoft already IS doing a Classic -> OS X type deal, though. They have "XP Mode" in the "Pro" and "Ultimate" versions of their OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
First, there are a lot of people here who use and like Windows (Especially 7). I use XP, Vista and 7 here on different systems.

I agree with you. MS has kept so much in Windows that goes back to the old days. It's time for a complete refresh. It WILL upset some people, but make for a much better and much more up to date Windows. I would fully support such a move.

though, recently in my CSIS class we talked about this sort of thing, taking code and redoing it and well, it got me thinking.

new code needs new tests, and debugging. Windows has basically had every virus possible thrown at it, and its learned from that and become a very hardened code to crack. replacement would mean virus makers would be starting on fresh ground, but so would windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Microsoft already IS doing a Classic -> OS X type deal, though. They have "XP Mode" in the "Pro" and "Ultimate" versions of their OS.

Can you tell me more about this? I have 7 Pro on my Macbook. You aren't talking about "Running in Compatibility Mode" are you? That bullcrap almost never works..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.