mic broken, will buying an external mic be okay?

Reaction score
Yeah what it says on the tin really. My mic is broken, the sound isn't showing up if I record videos in photobooth or if I talk to people on skype.

I think it happened because I dropped my macbook, and the charger port was damaged, so I put it in for repair and when i got it back ....no sound. I don't think it happened during the fall because I had sound at the time. I think it happened when they were fixing it.

The thing is, I was planning on buying a new webcam anyway, I skype a lot and I was wanting something that was better quality than i-sight.

So if I buy a webcam with a built in mic, will this work even if my internal mic is broken?
I will take it in for repairs again anyway but cannot at the moment as dont have too much money at the moment, it is not in warrenty anymore, and i need to have sound as soon as possible.

thanks for the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
In theory yes as long as the webcam has mac compatible software. You could also just buy an external mic and plug it in to the mic/audio in port but since you didn't mention what mac you have I'll have to assume you have that port :) I unfortunately am not sure which webcams would work however maybe someone can shed some light?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.