Disk needs to be repaired - don't have OS X install disk

Reaction score
Hi All

My Macbook with snowleopard has been running really slowly recently and so I verified the disk using disk utility. It told me that "The volume was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired".
I however, am overseas studying in Spain and so don't have my OS X install disk with me...I don't fancy buying a new one, nor waiting the 2 weeks for my parents to send it from Australia...is there any other way to do it without the original disk?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can try running fsck, as this will check most things that disk utility does.
Google, or use our search engine to find instructions on how.

OP
N
Reaction score
ok thanks - although apple support says fsck is not recommended and disk utility is preferred? Or should i just ignore that and do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well you can't use disk utility properly without an install disc, so yes, ignore their advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.