weird picture problem - cannot copy pictures to iPod touch - "cannot be played"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 2.8 GHZ, 500 GB 7200rpm, 4 GB DDR3, OSX 10.6.8, Bootcamp & XP SP2
i used to be able to sync photos from my mac to my iPod touch (Amazon said it was a 3rd gen, but an app says the hardware in 2nd gen), i have iOS 4.01 (photo sync worked fine on iOS 3, have not tried since then), i'm using iTunes 9, my iPod touch is not jailbroken. i have tried power cycling to no avail.

photos that used to sync no longer do, cannot use iTunes to sync from a folder or iPhoto, have tried deleting ALL current pics (which were all screen grabs), then i tried copying the screen grabs that were taken off my iPod back on - and they were not compatible.

all is says is:

"(filename) was not copied to the iPod (my iPod name) because it cannot be played on this iPod"

i have tried:
.BMP
.bmp
.JPG
.jpg
.JPEG
.jpeg
.tiff
.tif
.rif
.GIF
.gif
.PNG
.png

i have tried exporting with different compression types, no luck.
i have tried re-sizing them. like i say, even the pics generated by ipod screen grab give the same message when i transfer them back onto my pod.

all get the same message.

i tired syncing photos that i know once did successfully transfer, but now they also get the above message.

i have about 200 MB free on a 8GB (7GB formatted) iPoid touch. the photos take up 2MB total (approx 178 KB each) for compressed, about 1.5 Meg each for uncompressed formats.

i can still sync music, podcasts & videos fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have exactly the same problem. Both my itunes and ipod touch software are up to date yet I do not see a 'photos' button under devices in itunes as all the Apple support pages tell me I should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
There isn't a photos button under devices, you have to click on the device i.e Dave's iPhone, then click the photos tab on that page (as shown in picture), you can then select the folder(s) where your pictures are that you want to sync to the ipod/ iphone.

itunes-iphone-setup-summary.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats what i tried to use for uploading photos - i went into my ipod, clicked the photos tab, selected a folder i put aside for the ipod, and itunes would come with the error message and not transfer the photos. i tried trashing the photo cache within the folder, but it made no difference.

it worked with my previous version of itunes so im not sure why i would have to update to a newer version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could be down to the version of itunes being comatible with the ipod and the ios version on the ipod but not all features i.e syncing photos. Also just noticed that you have .rif listed there which is not compatible with ipod, try converting those pictures in .rif or move them out of the way and try again

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks Buzzard - that solved my problem. Obviously the instructions that I kept finding were for an older version of the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem at all, glad to help! :D

- Simon

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i usually use jpgs, all im saying is ive tried every format to rule out format dependency. no format will sync - iPod says it cannot be played (surely it should say it cannot be viewed/displayed etc)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.