eMac Fan Noise - Zalman FanMate 2 Installation Help Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 700MHz, OSX 10.3.9
Hello everyone,

I'm after some help on how to install a Zalman FanMate 2 to my eMac to reduce the fan speed and noise it generates which is driving me quietly crazy.

I purchased a Zalman FanMate after reading a previous thread on the discussion board on how to reduce fan noise:

emac fan noise - Installing fanmate 2 - Mac Forums

There was helpful info on the discussion and a link to a French website with installation instructions, however these related to installation of the discontinued FanMate 1. The FanMate 2 I had purchased has slightly different wiring.

The Apple Discussions forum also had installation info, (Apple - Support - Discussions - Noisey eMac fan solved with Zalman ...) but unfortunately the link to the pdf is broken, and I can only seem to find conflicting instructions on the web on which wires to solder to which to get it to work

So, here's how the wires are currently arranged if the FanMate 2 is plugged into the eMac:

FanMate (F) to eMac Fan (M): Yellow>Red, Red>Black, Black>Yellow
FanMate (M) to eMac Power (F): Black>Green, Red>Black, White>Yellow

Having already unsuccessfully tried one suggested rewiring combination (the first FanMate 2 popped and gave an exhausted puff of smoke), I'm a little cautious and would really appreciate some sound advice before I do some serious damage.

Many thanks in advance, folks.

Best wishes,
Ewan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Also suggest contacting hughvane via the threads who is somewhat of an eMac expert whereas I believe they make outstanding kellicks!

Gee, thanks Harry :\.

I looked at this thread earlier, but backed off because I don't know the Zalman product at all.

However, I have these thoughts:
1. the eMac fan is usually loud only when the room, and therefore the eMac, are hot, eg. 25C+, or
2. when the intake vents are clogged, and/or
3. the escape vents are clogged or obstructed.

Workarounds that are a great deal simpler than modifying the fan are:
1. to direct a stream of air from a small desk fan at the lower front area,
2. to vacuum thoroughly the air intake vents. Sometimes you need to use a small brush as well. Do this job while the eMac is shut down,
3. clean and clear the escape vent area.
Make sure that the escape vents at the top rear of the eMac are not in any way obstructed. An empty gap of 200 mm above the vent(s) is ideal.

When working my eMac in 30C+ temps, I have sometimes applied a stream of air across the top rear vents, to utilise the Bernoulli/Venturi effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My pleasure mate!

We may have got beaten by the Indians but Bangladesh? Come on!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 700MHz, OSX 10.3.9
Hello both, and thanks for the swift responses.

Unfortunately the installation instructions on the Zalman website are for a PC and not a Mac. I wish it was as easy to plug in and go, as in the diagrams they provide, but Apple have seen to it that the PC products shouldn't be transferable to Macs; the plugs don't quite fit and have to be shaved, and the wiring doesn't match either, hence my enquiry about which wires to resolder to which.

Thanks for the tips on cleaning and the possible workarounds to reduce the speed of the fan. I've opened up and cleaned the eMac and re-oiled the bearings too which reduced the noise just marginally. Sadly here in London it rarely gets above 25C so overheatting shouldn't be an issue, and in any case the problem is that the fan on the eMac doesn't regulate according to temperature - it's just on max constantly.

I had previously tried the wiring configuration detailed here, which made the FanMate 2 blow.. Apple eMac G4 Fan Noise Zalman Modification - a photo on Flickriver

Any further advice would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Ewan

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 700MHz, OSX 10.3.9
Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid this is the French website I mentioned in the first post.

Unfortunately the instuctions here, though very clear, relate to installation of the FanMate1. The FanMate2 has slightly different wiring, so the diagram detailed here just doesn't match up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Ewan you sure have tried everywhere. Contact the manufacturer and ask is the fan actually Mac compatible.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 700MHz, OSX 10.3.9
Hmm, considering you have to shave the plugs to make them fit the eMac, I'm sure the manufacturer will say it's not compatibe.

Reckon I'll try and pick up a FanMate1 on eBay.

Thanks anyway. :)

Cheers,
Ewan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Sadly here in London it rarely gets above 25C so overheatting shouldn't be an issue.

And we in the Antipodes are emerging from the cold of winter, so our temps, NZ-Eng I mean, will be similar.

The fact that the fan is on full speed from the word go (do you shut the machine down overnight?) suggests a hardware issue, maybe a problem, ie. the thermostat or thermal paste.

Have you run a hardware check, ie, boot from Install Disk 1 > Disk Utility > First Aid?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac, 700MHz, OSX 10.3.9
Hello,

Yes, I shut the machine down overnight. I've tried the hardware test CD and strangely it reports that everthing is fine.

Well, I'll pick up a FanMate1 on eBay and keep you posted..

Thanks again both for your advice - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ewan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.