Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server Advice/Clarification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
Hey folks,

I have a question about the use of a the Mini Snow Leopard Server setup for a HTPC. I have zero knowledge about server software, but I'll list my needs below and maybe someone would be kind enough to tell me if it would be wise to move in that direction.

The main reason I'm planning on purchasing the upgraded mini is the boost in RAM, HD size, and processor. To me, it seems like a deal if the server software is $499 regularly.

I mainly want a centralized hub for all my movies, pics, and music. I'm looking for the easiest way to make it accessible from my other devices (iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad.) I would like for my libraries to be held on the mini and accessible from the other machines.

Also, I work for a small non-profit organization that has about 15 employees. We currently host a website on a paid server: iPowerweb and host a Forum through SMS Boards, but mainly use it for document sharing. I'm thinking, from what I've heard of Mac OS X Server, that I can keep all of that stuff in house and reduce the cost of putting it off-site.

So, anybody have any suggestions? Should I go this route or would it be overkill since I'm not familiar with the server software? Is the learning curve ridiculous?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.