Macbook Pro crazy screen and stuck on startup screen

Reaction score
I was working on my MBP yesterday when it crashed and got some of these crazy lines (which i will call artifacts from here on) on the screen. My music was still playing and responded to volume control on the keyboard, although the pause and track skip didn't. The cursor was frozen though. Now when I try to start up, i get this screen. The wheel will spin for a few min, but with these artifacts (which mimic the wheel in a space just below and to the right, which can be faintly seen in this photo. There are also the obvious large blocks of artifacts along the edges. This is every time i start up now. The artifacts do clear up at some points, and leave a grey screen with the apple logo in the center, and they also come back to fill the screen. It alternates randomly during the time the computer is on. I can wait for the spinning wheel to stop spinning on the start up screen and use volume control (i hear the blip sound), i can even push the play button and hear 'The Office' episodes playing, but all the while, I only have the grey screen with artifacts. Does anyone know anything about something like this happening or know what might be causing it? It is a 2007 MBP 17" 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, and I am running Snow Leopard.

Also, I received a class action lawsuit notification in the mail yesterday about defective NVIDIA graphics processors and my computer qualified as one that had these defective chips, so i have a suspicion that this may be the reason for this 'glitch' i am having.

DSC_3788.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Your suspicions on the defective graphics chip are the same as mine.

Also, I received a class action lawsuit notification
I don't know what or why as far as that email goes as it is covered by Apple.
See MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Contact Apple ASAP while it is still covered under the extended warranty on that faulty chip, and make an appointment with the Genius bar.

Hold on.... 2.16GHz is 2006 but it's a core duo with the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, not a core 2 duo with the faulty NVidea chip
I'm confused about what Macbook Pro you actually have.

OP
E
Reaction score
I took it to apple and they said it was a faulty graphics card and that they would repair it under warranty. I should get it back tomorrow.

Now I'm confused as to what I have as well. Pretty sure its a 2.16 with duo processor. And it definitely had a NVIDIA chip.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.