Another newbi question...Os's

H

HeXp£Øi±

What are the best free mac Os's? Are there any? Using my first mac, an emac and digging it but i have zero software aside from the two Os's that are already installed on it. (mac os 9.2 and Osx 10). I'd really like to start from scratch and do a fresh install. If there are free os's for the mac where can i get them cheap if downloading is not an option for me(56k)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Macintosh Operating Systems are not free. If you are looking for a used copy or a previous version, you may have some luck on an auction site like eBay.

If you are looking for shareware or freeware applications, I would suggest lookiing at www.versiontracker.com.

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
welll i guess you could look into linux... there are a number of free distros of linux, but then again you have to download them, some have the option to order a cd at cost to make the cd, but nothing overly expensive.

OP
H

HeXp£Øi±

Well i'm a fairly experienced pc user, tech actually. But what i really want is not to just 'do stuff' but do a fresh install as the previous owner personalised this mac in an ugly way. What are the best distros of linux for the mac? Do any of them stack up to os x? I don't mind paying for shipping charges and the like. I just don't want to spend $80+ dollars on an Os just yet when i'm not all that familear with it.

OP
H

Harryc

Try Ubuntu PPC. It is 99% functional on Macs, Flash Player doesn't work, but that's a Macromedia isssue. iBooks need a few tweaks too, but that information is available at the Ubuntu forums. Oh, and sound does not work on mini's yet. Other than that, it's free and an outstanding distribution with a great community.

http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.04/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.