Office 2011 for Mac requires activation

Reaction score
Ok, so I read first that MacBU is roling out Outlook's features "in stages" as it won't sync with Google Calendar right off the bat. THEN I read David Pogue(a respectable Opinionist on all things Mac) trashing it and lists valid reasons why....then I read THIS! Activation..on a Mac.

Figured it was only a matter of time before M$ got their grubby little activation process on the Mac platform. I was almost leaning toward upgrading from 2008 until the recent news listed above. With ACTIVATION now a part of it...forget it. I have enough trouble keeping Windows 7 activated in Parallels and the the weekly phone call to get it working again is more than I care to do with Office....no thanks.

------
Office 2011 for Mac requires activation? | MacNN

Office 2011 for Mac requires activation?
updated 11:00 pm EDT, Fri October 22, 2010License limited to one Mac, can be "reassigned"

Among the many changes in Microsoft Office 2011 is the arrival of product "activation" done via internet or by phone -- a first for Office on the Mac, a recent blog post from Office for Mac Help has revealed. The site, which is an unofficial resource for Mac Office users, cites the Office 2011 End User License Agreement (EULA) as its source. The activation ties the use of the software to a specific device and reveals other information (such as the IP address and hardware configuration), but can be reassigned to another device any number of times, limited to once every 90 days.
The Home & Student Edition of Microsoft Office 2011 (Family Pack version) still has three licenses, but in the 2008 edition each license was good for one desktop and one laptop install, meaning up to six Macs in a household could run the software. The 2011 license limits each activation to one device, cutting the number of allowable machines in half. Home & Business editions offer a 1-license and 2-license version.

Information sent to Microsoft during the activation process includes the version, license version, language and product key of the software as well as the IP address and hardware profile of the device. The post did not specify the details of what's included in the "hardware configuration" report.

Licenses can be reassigned to different devices, but are restricted from doing so more often than once every 90 days. If a device is "retired" (ie will not be used again due to sale or failure), users can contact Microsoft to reassign licenses sooner. [via officeformachelp.com]

Read more: Office 2011 for Mac requires activation? | MacNN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I see no problem with product activation. Adobe's programs already use it and I've never had a problem. I've also never had a problem with Windows or Office 2010 activation under Fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So? Are they not entitled to hunt out pirates?

If you don't like simply don't use it! Both 2008 and 2004 required online activation for me here Down Under.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I see no problem with product activation. Adobe's programs already use it and I've never had a problem. I've also never had a problem with Windows or Office 2010 activation under Fusion.
I was going to say the same thing. Simply because Apple doesn't do it with their products doesn't mean that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

As harry stated, if you have an issue with it, don't use it. But honestly, how bad is it? You activate it and you're done. It's not as if you have to do it on a regular basis.

OP
PKGuy323
Reaction score
My experience with Windows 7/Parallels as noted in my OP is the main reason. If EVERY program had activation, it would be common place. My issue is when I need to re-activate and the browser won't even connect me to their own server and the phone call-in is tedious.

I say if M$ wants to write apps for the Mac, then this Activation thing(which is steps closer to M$ watching me by stamping my MBP data somewhere in their servers to ensure I'm legit) needs to go away.....no thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're having issues with Windows and Parallels, I suggest you call the Parallels people because it shouldn't be doing that.

IMHO, the only people who worry about activation are people who plan to or do pirate software.

OP
PKGuy323
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding why people would have an issue with it. I legally own all my software and find that having to "repeat my registration" is tedious and unnecessary. As Murphy's Law would have it, the activation process tends to occur when I need instant access to Win7(which I bought directly from M$) and I have to walk through the laborious task of reminding them I'm a legit user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I've got a version of Windows XP that I got in October 2001 and had it installed on at least 6 or 7 home-built PC configurations including Parallels, and never once had to call MS.

Additionally, I got Windows 7 and installed it on a custom PC, no issues. After seeing at least 3 posts on this forum about Office 2011, at least 3 weeks before it was released, I can't really blame MS - although perhaps they should look at their pricing.

Also, I haven't read the Pogue article, but Walt Mossberg did like Office 2011, so I am not sure what to think. I'll probably get it, if only for the Excel Ad-Ins, which I still have to use Windows for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I say if Mac wants to write apps for the Mac, then this Activation thing(which is steps closer to M$ watching me by stamping my MBP data somewhere in their servers to ensure I'm legit) needs to go away.....no thanks.

Can you translate that into English for me? I'm not sure what "If Mac wants to write apps for the Mac" means...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can you translate that into English for me? I'm not sure what "If Mac wants to write apps for the Mac" means...

Oh dear, I'm sensing big brother rearing his ugly head again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

I think what he meant to say was:

"If the Mac BU wants to develop application for the Mac, then they should do it in a way that pleases me".

As a side note, I read Pogues rant, and my respect for him (which was already modestly low) just started drilling a hole in the floor.

He admits he's not really interested in Excel, or in Word being more similar to Word in Office 2007/2010, and yet still drivels on about the ribbon... yawn.

Here's the thing... if you just want to write pretty documents, use Pages. If you need to interact with professionals using MS Office on Windows, this is probably a worthwhile upgrade.

Incidentally, he's the only person I have read who actually misses Entourage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think what he meant to say was:

"If the Mac BU wants to develop application for the Mac, then they should do it in a way that pleases me".

I thought maybe he meant "MS" instead of "Mac" but that would work too...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Zoolook, you are lucky. I have had to call Microsoft sometimes with 3 hardware changes and I do not mean the motherboard! I have noticed the last year though it's not as aggressive as it used to be. Even a motherboard swap activated without a phone call.

All my Windows XP's are SP2 Pro Full retail also. It's really not a big deal most of the time calling and telling them why I had to change the motherboard and assure them this copy was only in use on one computer. It's only when I am fixing a customers system and In a hurry that it has gotten annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Whether or not activation is a pain is largely down to the details: can you easily move a license to a new computer? If it's no more effort than re-entering a license code, then I don't see a problem with it.

OP
PKGuy323
Reaction score
AS people's experiences may vary, I've not had a good experience with Microsoft products on the Mac. Office 2008 was my first experience and not a good one. Windows 7 via Parallels keep needing reactivation about every week or so and I've not changed any hardware or applied any Parallels updates(none to be had on V5).

To each their own...my preference is for activation to not be part of M$ products for Mac. It's another M$ hook into an otherwise perfect platform. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you've had such bad experiences with Microsoft products on the Mac, why do you care what they do with Office since I would hope you wouldn't be purchasing it since there are alternatives?

Personally I've had no problem with Microsoft products on my Mac whether they're MacBU products or Windows running in Fusion.

Despite what the cool kids who like to use "M$" say, Microsoft is a decent development shop, especially the MacBU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I got 2011 through my employer, for a work machine. I don't know how activation works for the consumer version, but mine went through without me having to call anyone or enter a code. Just a click-through to register, I think. I breezed right by it since I was impatient.

(I expect I accidentally willed my corneas to Bill Gates or something, but anyway.)

The consumer version will likely be somewhat different, but who's to say how?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The consumer version will likely be somewhat different, but who's to say how?

I don't think so. If it's anything like Office 2010 for Windows, you won't even know it activated itself. However, I imagine if you were on dial up, you'd see a warning dialog of some sort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.