iMacG5 not updating to leopard from dvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Please help guys and girls, just starting out on Macs.

I recently got my hands on a iMac G5 to get myself started, I changed the DVD drive as that was the only issue with the hardware and it is working fine with its new drive and operatering on osx 10.3.9. I decided to update, so I could use the iMac with my iPhone. I purchased os x 10.5.6 dvd install off ebay. inserted the dvd which opened a window with a picture of the 'X', read the instrutions and double clicked on update software. It asked to restart which I did and thats as far as it got. restart seemed to work but afterwards, when you would expect to see it asking for which drive to load too, it went to a grey screen with the multicolour wheel spinning away.
have I got a dodgy software off ebay or do I need 10.4 before 10.5.
any help would be gratefully received.

iMac G5 2004
1.8Ghz PPC G5
256MB DDR SDRAM
512Kb
76GB available
OS X 10.3.9

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

No you do not need Tiger to install Leopard, BUT you do need a black coloured full retail install version of Leopard and NOT the silver grey model specific discs which abound on auction sites under various names such as drop-ins, system updates etc.

Bet you have been sold the silver grey disc which will install on precisely the model Mac it came with.

PS gonna cream you guys come the ashes!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
jacob hapouss

you would be right on the silver disk front but I think they may be yours Hahaha.

Thanks for your help.

I off to leave some negative feedback as it was advertised as retail install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.