IPAD for mac pro need advise

Reaction score
I have a guy wanting to trade a macbook pro 15inch for my Ipad 64gig 3g. He says the mac model number is A1286.

C/P
its like new it's been kept in a hard plastic case, no dings dents or dead pix its in mint condition
its never been carried around i bought it for home then i bought an 27in imac so of course i put this one to the side
15'
2.6ghz
3gb
250 hd

What ya think?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wasn't aware that they made a 15" Mac Pro. >_>"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a guy wanting to trade a macbook pro 15inch for my Ipad 64gig 3g. He says the mac model number is A1286.

I would probably need more model info than A1286 to know exactly what model MBP we're talking about. The A1286 actually covers a broader range of Macbook Pro models than you would think...and covers multiple product launches.

But roughly speaking...a 64gig 3G iPad sells for $829...knock off some $$$ for being used...so let's say it's worth $750. If this Macbook Pro is in good shape...I think that the Macbook Pro is the better part of the deal...if we're talking a straight up swap (no extra cash involved).

But then again it sort of depends on what you want. The abilities of a full fledged laptop computer...or the abilities of the iPad (lightness, compactness, touch screen, 3G anywhere connectivity, etc.).

Just my humble opinion...good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
menders another

I would probably need more model info than A1286 to know exactly what model MBP we're talking about. The A1286 actually covers a broader range of Macbook Pro models than you would think...and covers multiple product launches.

But roughly speaking...a 64gig 3G iPad sells for $829...knock off some $$$ for being used...so let's say it's worth $750. If this Macbook Pro is in good shape...I think that the Macbook Pro is the better part of the deal...if we're talking a straight up swap (no extra cash involved).

But then again it sort of depends on what you want. The abilities of a full fledged laptop computer...or the abilities of the iPad (lightness, compactness, touch screen, 3G anywhere connectivity, etc.).

Just my humble opinion...good luck,

- Nick

He is bringing the Macbook for me to look at, where would I find the model number?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He is bringing the Macbook for me to look at, where would I find the model number?

Are you familiar with Mac computers & OS X? If so, go to the:

- Apple drop down menu
- Select "About this Mac"
- In the window that pops up click the "More Info" button
- In the next screen (Hardware Overview..."Hardware")

...there should be a model number that looks like "Macbook Pro 5,1" or "Macbook Pro 5,3"...or something like that...which can narrow things down a bit more as to what exact model MBP it is.

In either case...my personal opinion is...a newer Macbook Pro like this is worth more than a 64gig 3G iPad. But it all depends on what someone wants. The guy with the MBP maybe really wants a 64gig 3G iPad...but has no cash to buy one....and is too lazy to sell his MBP on his own.;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW I would agree on the relative value (assuming there's nothing wrong with the MBP.
I would say go for it if you want/need a laptop. You can always replace your iPad later if you desire.

On the other hand they'll have to pry my iPad away (perhaps by enticing me with iPad vs2) to get it. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
form exclomet

Are you familiar with Mac computers & OS X? If so, go to the:

- Apple drop down menu
- Select "About this Mac"
- In the window that pops up click the "More Info" button
- In the next screen (Hardware Overview..."Hardware")

...there should be a model number that looks like "Macbook Pro 5,1" or "Macbook Pro 5,3"...or something like that...which can narrow things down a bit more as to what exact model MBP it is.

In either case...my personal opinion is...a newer Macbook Pro like this is worth more than a 64gig 3G iPad. But it all depends on what someone wants. The guy with the MBP maybe really wants a 64gig 3G iPad...but has no cash to buy one....and is too lazy to sell his MBP on his own.;)

- Nick
He is saying its a MB985LL/A I thought I seen 'Macbook Pro 4,1' not for sure now though. I guess he wants to trade so i'm going to do it. I know it did say Macbook Pro and I did see 2.6 cpu so it doesn't sound like i'll get hurt on the deal.

OP
J
Reaction score
FWIW I would agree on the relative value (assuming there's nothing wrong with the MBP.
I would say go for it if you want/need a laptop. You can always replace your iPad later if you desire.

On the other hand they'll have to pry my iPad away (perhaps by enticing me with iPad vs2) to get it. :)

I already have a laptop, so I dont really need one. It just sounds I am way ahead on this deal?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He is saying its a MB985LL/A I thought I seen 'Macbook Pro 4,1' not for sure now though. I guess he wants to trade so i'm going to do it. I know it did say Macbook Pro and I did see 2.6 cpu so it doesn't sound like i'll get hurt on the deal.

The MB985LL/A number is consistent with the "A1286" number from earlier...but the Macbook Pro 4,1 is not correct...as far as I know.

In other words the A1286 & Macbook Pro 4,1 numbers don't match...but the MB985LL/A & A1286 do math.

Like I said...2x before...this Macbook Pro if it has no problems (and has a good battery)...is probably worth more than the iPad 64gig 3G.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have a laptop, so I dont really need one. It just sounds I am way ahead on this deal?

If you already have a laptop...why would you trade this person your iPad for a 2nd laptop that you don't need?:Confused:

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
That model is the 2009 model, assuming the number you provided is accurate. It has a 2.66Ghz C2D, with a 9400m and 9600GT GPU, should have shipped with 2GB of RAM upgradable to 4GBs.

It's probably worth $1,100 or so, depending on battery condition and other things. If it's less than a year old, you could get Apple Care and sell it on... but if the warranty has expired and there is no Apple Care, it's a risk.

I have to say, it sounds a little too good to be true, because the person could easily sell it, buy an iPad and have change to spare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.