Trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, this is annoying me and Apples built in system help is referencing options that are clearly NOT available.

I recently got a new MacBook to replace my aging iBook G4. For the most part I only use this machine (as I did the iBook) when I am on travel (as I am now) and it usually sits on the desk in my hotel with a Logitech Trackball mouse attached. Now, on my iBook I was able to disable the trackpad when the mouse was plugged in, there was a checkbox or two that would set it up. Apple's help is pointing me towards this for the Macbook but obviously the trackpad prefs for this machine don't have that option.

Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious or am just stupid but how in the heck do I stop the trackpad from functioning when the mouse is plugged in or can I even do so?

Here is a pic of the trackpad prefs, nothing there to turn it off that I can find...

trackpad.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have a MBP, but I'm assuming this would be the same for your MacBook.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
How simple yet unintuitive. Why in the world would they move that option there instead of putting it in the logical place! I find it odd that Apples help on the machine doesn't even point me there!

Thanks for the assist, been driving me batty for some weeks now! +Rep!

EDIT: I guess it all depends on HOW you word the query in HELP....

trackpad 2.jpg

trackpad 3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Glad it worked..... would have been driving me batty too :)
It is all in the wording for searches, I typed in disable trackpad and that brought it up.
Being in universal access and not in trackpad settings is strange though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad you were able to help Baggss. All I own is an iBook like Baggss used to own! :D

I got freaked out when Apple moved the Firewall from Sharing to the security tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.