Backing Up to a File ?

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought a new i7 iMac. :Cool:

I have a lot of software that takes AGES to install (tons of dvd's), and also I like my OSX configures in a certain way that I would like to capture.

BUT- after those major installs I tend to install a lot of junk (such as free plug-ins for Logic), that after a while will potentially interfere with the flow and stability of the mac (happened before).

I will want to create a snapshot of the osx while it's still clean and clear, and a couple of times a year or once needed to reinstall that back to this state. It looks like time machine backs up continuously, so how could I secure a single date to my external HD?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check it out.

Is there any way to do this thing with the internal Time Machine?

I'm just thinking that once the new OS is here they'll might allow you to carry the preferences and installation to the Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yep, you can use to Machine to make backups when you choose.
I don't have mine setup to do automatic backups, I just turn it on when I feel that I have made some major alterations, or am about to, or, when I have data that I cannot afford to lose since my last backup.
I use both time machine and carbon copy cloner in the same manner.

With time machine preferences, all you need to do is slide the switch to off, and when you mount the external HD, right click on it and select backup now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.