Mail Error: IMAP Server FAIL due to Password Error - But password is CORRECT!?!

Reaction score
Hello,

So I am having a huge issue with my Mail Application.

I am using Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 and Mail 4.3

Somehow overnight of me leaving my laptop on, doing nothing... Has given me this new error and will not load new emails.

I can still send emails from my mail account but I cannot download any new ones.

here is the specific error message:

"Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server "imap.gmail.com" failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click continue. If the information isn't correct, you cannot receive messages."

So... I know for a FACT this password is correct. I have even went in and changed my gmail password and then tried that new one I changed it to, NO DICE.

This is really frustrating, and I am HATING having a MAC at the moment as I don't know how to fix it.

I also tried to download Thunderbird to try that out as well, but the same issue.... What is wrong with my computer??? I know for fact I am typing in the correct password.

If anyone has any information at me you would be helping me out soo much.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why are you blaming your computer? You think you can fix this any better if it were a PC? The problem is not with your Mac nor Mail 4.3 nor Thunderbird, it's with GMail. Problems with the GMail server occur on occasion. Sometimes you just have to wait or keep trying. Try again tomorrow or later. If the problem persists, delete the account and create another.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you tried both Thunderbird and Mail, it's not the Mac. I would almost bet on that. Like Chscag said it's probably on the gmail IMAP end. I would offer more help but I don't use IMAP here with the little i use Gmail.

OP
Z
Reaction score
nothing works so far...

not blaming my mac in the sense i hate having a mac, I am just hating the unit at the moment for not working. it's not a matter of switching....

anyways, i have tried deleting it and creating a new one, as well as things I have found on different forums. Nothing is working.

i have also tried using pop3/ other options its not just imap

It's been 3 days total now, but yes I will keep trying each day.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A brand new google mail account with even POP is not working?

I have an idea. Applications/Utilities. Open that and look for Keychain manager.

BE CAREFUL please!!

Look for any gmail entries and delete them. Then reconfigure mail and see if that solves it. Might be something messed up in the Keychain where the password and login are saved in OSX.

Be sure Mail is closed when you do all this.

OP
Z
Reaction score
dtravis7, you are the man.

thank you so much.

if you can... please explain to me what just happen so I can understand?

But yes, it works wonderfully again.

Thank You!

Zach

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7, you are the man.

thank you so much.

if you can... please explain to me what just happen so I can understand?

But yes, it works wonderfully again.

Thank You!

Zach

I wish I could explain, but sometimes (Rare in my experience with OSX from 10.2-10.6 and 20 macs, but the keychain for the password gets messed up somehow. It only happened to me once in all these years, but now I am glad it did so I could help you.

Glad it works again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.