Upgrade to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
I just got 10.6.3 from the Apple Store. I have a Macbook pro running 10.5.8. I have programs such as; Parallels Desktop, CS3, ect... that I do not have backup CD's for. I have an external HD. I want to back up everything before I upgrade.
What is the best method to upgrade considering I don't have backup CD's for the expensive (but now outdated yes!) programs? Install over the existing OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can backup everything by using Time Machine (which you should be doing anyway). Make sure the external drive is formatted to HFS+ Extended Journaled in order for Time Machine to use it.

Install the Snow Leopard upgrade over Leopard. During the process you'll be asked if you have a backup. Reply yes and make sure the external with the TM backup is attached. The Snow Leopard upgrade will update all the necessary system files and use your TM backup to restore all your data, settings, apps, etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2019 16" 2.4 i9 32GB 2TB SSD AMD 5500 8GB
I don't use Time Machine. I manually send updates of important items to folders on the external HD to back-up. I guess I should start using Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.