Which fontmanager?

Reaction score
We're a small company with 3 people. At this moment we still use Adobe CS3 and but in about 2 weeks we're buying new macs and Adobe CS5.

Now we are still using Extensis Suitcase Fusion (1). Personally i find this software very slow and unstable, and auto-activation slowed down opening files so much that we disabled it. At home, i'm using Linotype Fontexplorer trial and it feels much faster, stable and auto-activation works great.

We would love a fontserver, but for our company it's too expensive (1000+ dollar). Fast, stable and good auto-activation is what we're looking for.
I'm in doubt between the next 3 fontmanagers to work together with CS5:
- Linotype Fontexplorer X
- Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3
- Bohemian Coding Fontcase

I know Fontexplorer works fine. But since we're used to working with Suitcase, Fusion 3 is an option too, and i guess it has improved since version 1. And i'm interested in Fontcase too, because it has a font sharing feature, which is (if i'm correct) a cheap replacement for a real font server. I'm not sure if the other fontmanagers have a similar feature. I'm not sure however if fontcase is a professional font manager, because it's cheap :).

I know there are trial versions, but we want to be up and running immediately and i can't test font sharing at home...

All advice appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I used to use fontexplorer x when it was free and found it far superior to suitcase.
I have several design clients using the paid version now and they're very happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would second font explorer

C

chas_m

I like FontExplorer a lot, but have always been partial to FontAgent Pro. Not to throw a spanner in the works, but check that one out as well. For me, it's only between those two.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for replies. I'm testing fontcase right now and i like the interface a lot. But it crashed sometimes when trying to auto activate fonts for indesign. Fontexplorer seemed more stable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.