• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

dirty electricity

C

catchawave

I sure hope I'm not double posting here! I did a search and couldn't find this subject so here goes....
Can someone tell me what dirty electricity is and if you have it, what you can do about it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I'm not entirely sure but i think it either means electrical noise and/or a lower line voltage than normal.

To fix the dirty electrical noise:

A: Move your computer away from florecent lights,large motors, and wireless signal generators.(cell phones, etc.)

B) your ground wire may not be correctly wired(call an electrican to fix the problem)

C)The wireing system in your home or office needs to be inspected by an electrican.

To fix lower line voltage:

A) call your power comany and explain the pproblem to them.

B) get a step-up transformer. EX. House voltage is 100 volts. Step up transformer steps voltage to 115.

You can find them at http://surpluscenter.com for around $30. Ger the higest AMP capacty one avalible (6-15 amps so it can power your computer)
BTW there is one on sale for only $8!

GOOD LUCK@! :doctor:

OP
C

catchawave

Out of these -- which one? I see only one that is a 15amp. Not sure if it's for computers tho. Or maybe it doesn't need to be?? Sorry - I know zilch about electricity.
I am going to have an electrician come in next week and check out the wiring. Better to be safe than sorry.
I don't get any noise -- I'm not even having any problems with anything in the house except with my computer. My emac.
Every once in a while the monitor does this "zap" where it flickers with a zap sound. Now I've had many people give different ideas on what it could be from - bad wiring in the house, to a bad outlet, to a flyback transformer going out, to the crt going out, to just needed a UPS unit.
I've switched outlets and the zap stopped for 4 days and yesterday it did it :(
But it hasn't done it since. It's VERY random.
No other problems in the house with other electrical units - tv's etc...
I'm going to get a UPS unit and hook into that. I have my emac plugged into a monster protector but I've been told that those are uselss.

OP
C

catchawave

The emac is only 2 years old. Yeah - I should have gotten applecare!
But the strange thing is.... before the emac, I had a blue and white imac and the same thing happened. The zapping deal. I ignored it and it finally died. It zapped and the whole screen went black and that was it. So, I bought an emac and now it's doing the same thing.

OP
B

Badger

Get an uninterruptable power supply. It will act as a filter and damper for electrical feed problems and as a surge protector for voltage spikes. Most of them will warn you if the incoming power is below normal. If this is over your budget at least get a good surge protector.

OP
C

catchawave

Badger: I just got back from compUSA and bought a UPS machine. Got it all hooked up and I need to download the software that came with it to automatically shut down computer if need be.
I have a question tho on the hookup -- it came with a usb cord with a phone line attachment on the other end. When I used that I couldn't get a dial tone. So, I'm not using that.
This is how I have it: Computer cord is obviously plugged into the UPS, then I have my phone line that comes from the house plugged into the UPS then another phone cord line that goes from the computer to the UPS. Did that make sense? Am I covered?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
* Just a note the battary backup will help protect against noise, low voltage etc. But if the voltage goes below 95, it will start using the battary automatically.*

what brand of UPS did you buy? Sounds like an APC. Mine also has the phone port on the conector plug. Plug the USB cable into the computer and the phone plug into DATA Port on the back of the unit.

OP
C

catchawave

macEfan said:
* Just a note the battary backup will help protect against noise, low voltage etc. But if the voltage goes below 95, it will start using the battary automatically.*

what brand of UPS did you buy? Sounds like an APC. Mine also has the phone port on the conector plug. Plug the USB cable into the computer and the phone plug into DATA Port on the back of the unit.

Yes, its a APC unit. Yup did that and I downloaded the software.
DUH - must have usb to download software.
I'm on a dial up connection so I have the usb in the computer (now this has to stay in right - so that computer can shut down if need be by the UPS?), and the other end in the data port. then the phone line from the wall into the "wall outlet port" on UPS, then a phone line cord plugged into my emac and the other end plugged into the "modem, phone,fax" port in UPS.

I'll have to read all the instructions etc. on when battery will come on and how I will know when it comes on. You say if it goes below 95 then it will come on. If it goes below 95, don't I have something seriously wrong with the electricity? Or are we talking, during a power surge etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It varries, you can somehow set the voltage. The defalt shutoff is 95(i think) you could go as little as 85, but that would't be good for your computer.

If it is on battary the light "On Battary" will come on.

If it frequently turns on and off, contact your power company :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.