my mac keeps trying to run ct_loader_agent

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 15" macbook pro (unibody, late 2008) which was owned by a previous user.
I have formatted the whole drive and installed os x 10.6 all over again. The mac froze a couple of times, and looking at the console log, I noticed that it is constantly trying to run this ct_loader_agent plugin.
Here's the log (those lines appears repeatedly about every minute or so):

Oct 20 22:57:40 scscs-macbook-pro-15 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[185] (com.conduit.loader.Agent[1049]): Exited with exit code: 1
Oct 20 22:57:40 scscs-macbook-pro-15 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[185] (com.conduit.loader.Agent): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Oct 20 22:57:50 scscs-macbook-pro-15 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[185] (com.conduit.loader.Agent[1050]): posix_spawn("/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader/ct_loader.bundle/Contents/Resources/ct_loader_agent.app/Contents/MacOS/ct_loader_agent", ...): No such file or directory
Oct 20 22:57:50 scscs-macbook-pro-15 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[185] (com.conduit.loader.Agent[1050]): Exited with exit code: 1
Oct 20 22:57:50 scscs-macbook-pro-15 com.apple.launchd.peruser.503[185] (com.conduit.loader.Agent): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Above all, the funny thing is that I can't find this ct loader anywhere around in the system.

Can someone help me decipher the problem?

thanks,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hi, Welcome to M-F!

ct_loader is something that is related to ad-don Safari toolbars, like the Google Toolbar but for Safari.
Anyway, what is happening is launchd (A system process that can schedule things) is trying to load something that doesn't exist anymore (The ct_loader).

Go to Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons and move the file(s) to the trash that have this name "com.conduit.loader.Agent.plist"
This plist is what tells launchd to try and load the ct_loader.
Once you have moved the files to the trash, restart the computer and launchd should stop trying to load the ct_loader.

You should also check these places for the following files and delete them if they exist.

/Library/Application Support/Conduit/Plugins/cttoolbar.bundle

And the CT folder in /Library/Inputmanagers

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the fast reply mcYukon, problem solved :)
also, my mac was freezing completely about once a day. I didn't get enough time to evaluate, but do you think it may have to do with this? if not, how can I check what's causing the freezes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Had to tell right now, usually these are the causes when the system freezes. (read the article for more info)
An application has a bug that is causing it to consume too many resources
An application is legitimately resource intensive and your computer is slow
Your Mac has too little memory for your demands
Too many applications are running at the same time
You have multiple applications all trying to use the disk at the same time
What To Do When Your Mac Freezes And Runs Slow | MacYay!

There even is article over on MacFixit about persistent freezes on Snow Leopard.
Freezes in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

OP
T
Reaction score
I read the article. but the problem I have is actually different. It's no freezing as a result of heavy use or something, but rather suddenly just show half of the screen black with some pixelated colorful stripes, or just freeze the display (I always see some small pixelated deformation at the edge of the screen when it happens). and also, I have no control whatsoever, even not caps-lock... and then the only option obviously is to force shut down.
and btw, I have os x 10.6 (not upgraded).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just a quick jump in here, since you say 10.6 'not upgraded' which I take to mean updated....
Download Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo), and then repair disk permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.