Macbook Pro running slow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Macbook Pro that is 13 months. It's the 13" and really just the "base" model no options.

The battery capacity is at 86% after 99 cycles. Not cool, however, is it to be expected somewhat.

Onto the issues. It beachballs on me when I'm on the internet and trying to open up a tab. If I try to switch to a tab real fast, click a bookmark, then switch back, it will beachball on me. It does it a lot with Pandora, which I understand, but even with facebook or websites with less load.

Some of the other programs run really slow too. Word is slow (always has been and it doesn't bother me much), but iPhoto will freeze up when looking at pics real quickly.

Mail is probably the best program. itunes is slow too.

I've noticed that when I command Q things like Safari, it often takes more a few seconds (closer to 15) to shut down. Why is this? It never used to do this?

I have some programs on my computer but still ahve 113 free gigs of harddrive left. A good amount of pics, and some songs.

I almost expect better?

Any help here fellas? Any thing I can do to speed her up?

Thanks,

-rockstate

OP
R
Reaction score
****, could "youcontroltunes" be the problem?

I just deleted it and quit the engine and the computer is running 10x faster! Maybe it's just in my head??? i dunno..

-rockstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I was about to ask what changes have you made but you have answered your own question when something does not function as normal I always look to the last change and if I added hardware then go from there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, I was gonna say.. don't Macs have a tendency to not slow down over time like PCs do? I had read it before on this site but can't remember it, other than a general answer.

I think the "youcontroltunes" was the problem. I'll miss that program but not what it was doing to my performance.

Also, my comp runs a bit hot. It's around 55+* celcius on about all accounts. SOmetimes into the 70s and such.

I rarely run it on anything other than a table, no soft surfaces, except for a few minutes if I'm watching some boring show on tv.

-rockstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That's a completely normal temperature for it to be running!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.