• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie Import Probem. Sony Camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
I just can't get my head around this one!

I have a Sony DCR SR37 Handycam.....

I have iMovie, version 8.0.6.

From January up to May 2010, I could connect the camera into my macbook, hey presto! Images imported via iPhoto, and I could easily edit in iMovie.

June onwards.... I can't import anything! iPhoto shows images up to May.... after that... it shows image frames, but not images / pictures, just empty gray frames, which are I presume all the footage I'v erecorded from May to October.

I can, however, open the actual camera files on the macbook... and Quicktime shows all images, Jan - Oct. But when I play them on Quicktime... theres no sound, just moving pics!!

Is this a problem with the mac? Or a problem with the camera?

It's really frustrating.. not that I can't edit the videos... but I can't even watch them with audio on the mac!

Help... please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For those who might have a suggestion, the camera records MPEG2 to a hard drive.

OP, did you make any software changes in May? Have you tried another app such as VLC against those problem files? Why are you using iPhoto for your video stuff? Normally you would use iMovie to import directly from the camera.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Thanks xstep,

Have you tried another app such as VLC against those problem files?

No.. what does VLC mean?

Why are you using iPhoto for your video stuff?

it does it automatically.... I insert the Camera (USB) and iphoto pops up...

Normally you would use iMovie to import directly from the camera.

Exactly! Then why does iphoto pop up? I have looked in iphoto preferences and imovie.... nothing.

..hmmmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
VLC is a cross platform video player.

You can close iPhoto without disconnecting the camera. Then start up iMovie.

I haven't used this option, but the 'Image Capture.app' has a setting to choose which application opens when you connect a camera. The option is in the lower left corner of it's window. It is labeled 'Connecting this camera opens:'. You may have to navigate to iMovie via the 'Other...' option.

If the Finder shows an extra drive, perhaps named 'Untitled', then eject it before disconnecting the camera.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
Thanks xstep.

Situation so far: I have uploaded all movies from the Sony camera (even though I can't see all of the images, but I can see the frame / thumbnail) into one file to see if that will help.

When I open them in Quicktime... It plays the image, but not the audio. When opened in VLC (downloaded thanks to xstep)... they play image and audio! But iMovie will not import the movies even from the mac!

And... another confusing isssue is this: I still have the movies on the camera too.... and have tried importing directly into iMovie.... but iMovie doesn't recognise the camera, it recognizes the 'built in iSight' but not the Sony...... BUT... it did before May!...... grrrrr

This sound like a driver problem.. or the camera is corrupt!

ARGHHHH.... I wanna cry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had the camera in front of me, I'd backup the files on it and reformat (or what ever they call that process) it. I also check that I have the camera setup to defaults first. This way you'd know you are playing with as clean a slate as possible regarding the camera.

The Apple iMovie 09 camera compatibility list shows that your PAL camera should 'just work'. So really, none of the following should be needed.

I know that at one time Apple encouraged you to buy their MPEG2 decoder to read such cameras. I'm not sure of that status now.

Other possible tools to look into are ffmpegX (a bit of a hassle to setup), Handbrake, and MPEG Streamclip, although the latter may require Apples MPEG2 decoder as mentioned above.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac & macbook
GRRRRRRRR.... this is just totally frustrating!

I have saved all the movie files on the mac.... in QuickTime, they play image only. In VLC, they play image and audio.

But.... iMovie won't import the movies!!! WHY????? They are MPEG!!!!!

iMovie will import the older (pre May) movies... but they are titled .MOV files after auto import direct to iMovie. (these were imported using same camera, same app.)

I'd backup the files on it and reformat (or what ever they call that process) it. I also check that I have the camera setup to defaults first. This way you'd know you are playing with as clean a slate as possible regarding the camera.

I don't have a memory card to backup the camera movies at present... they are all on the Hard Drive. I don't want to try to re-format / set to default just incase I loose the files forever, they are clips of my first born child... so really don't want to mess around. The instruction manual is so vague... I don't know if u can re-format / set to default.... and keep the files on the HD.... I presume u can't do that.

My questions at this point is:

1. Should I convert all the movies (on the mac) from MPEG to Quicktime Mov. ? This sound stupid as iMovie plays MPEG!

2. Should I buy a memory card for the camera and re-format?

3. Any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.