can't download anything.

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Mac.
I used to be able to download things (any links like downloading trial software, music etc). But for the last couple of weeks or so, after clicking on a download link, the page just refreshes and the download doesn't start.
Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix this?
It happens with both Safari and Firefox, so I don't think its a problem with the browser.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Could be the sites you're on. Give some examples so others here can try them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Its really downloading anything. The only thing that works, seems to be my attachments from emails. No other links work really.
Like I tried to download Itunes, safari from apple website.
I have tried to download Iantivirus (free edition) from the following link
iAntiVirus - Free Download

Even tried google chrome browser from Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

None of them work for me. Like I said the page just refreshes, but the link doesn't start.

Any ideas? Anyone else experienced anything like this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you ever installed a download manager such as Speed Download? In my experience, improperly uninstalled download managers freqeuently cause issues with downloading content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SpeedDownload is the very devil to remove and it is a HUGE MUST the uninstaller be used. If not, what you are describing is precisely what happens.

An app to be avoided that requires a new registration fee every time an new OS is released.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ah yes I did. I think it was Igetter.

So how do I uninstall it properly? Especially as I don't see the icon in my applications folder anymore?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are uninstallation instructions here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
While we are at it, are you on a shared network, or something as such? ....the reason I ask, is that I am wondering why you are looking to install iAntiVirus.
If you must install antivirus software (which I wouldn't), I'd recommend going with ClamXav. ClamXav

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I can download again.

No I am not on a shared network. Just my home wireless. I'm only getting it because i thought that it would be best to have some antivirus software. i know macs are good and rarely get viruses. But I just thought it would be safer, just in case something does happen. And Im sure i read online somewhere that it is still good to have antivirus on Macs as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.