2007 Macbook 2.0 vs 2007 iMac 24" 2.16

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new, and I purchased my first mac over the summer. I loved it.

It was an iMac, the first 24" model. I nabbed it for only $220 because the old owner's HDD failed and he thought it was totally broken.

I recently purchased a Macbook to fix up. It is a 2006-7 2.0Ghz model. I believe it is the earlier one, the non SR one. I am sure it is the 2.1 version.

I realize I cannot keep both (money is tight). I was wondering which would you sell? I do low to heavy photoshopping (amateur photography) and usually use lightroom. I like the 24" to work with, but honestly as a student, I do not have the time to shoot anymore.

I believe the two models are these:
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.16 24-Inch Specs (Late 2006 - 24", MA456LL, iMac6,1, A1200, 2111) @ EveryMac.com
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White/06) Specs (Late 2006, MA700LL/A, MacBook2,1, A1181, 2121) @ EveryMac.com

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
As a student, I can definitely see your problem! Having said that, I'd probably live off bread and water to keep my Macs! :[

I think members of this forum can't really answer this question for you. It really does depend on your circumstances. Factoring in the issues:

Portability - Laptop vs Desktop - do you need to take your laptop to college, university etc? If so, you'd be better holding onto the MacBook.

Performance - what sort of day to day programs do you require? The iMac will have a greater upgradability. If you're a history student like me, the most you'll need is Pages or Word. E.g. You could sell your MacBook and buy a cheaper PowerBook that would be able to be a cheap workhorse. So you wouldn't lose the flexibility of the desktop/ laptop system you have at the moment, yet still have change.

Money - how much money do you need, more or less? You may well get more money from either depending on the condition and performance of the two computers.

Screen size - speaks for itself - 13" MacBook vs 24" iMac. But you could sell the iMac and pick up another LCD to plug your MacBook into and have a lot of change.

I hope others can help you more, but those are the questions I'd ask to try and help. Good luck! :)

David

OP
S
Reaction score
As a student, I can definitely see your problem! Having said that, I'd probably live off bread and water to keep my Macs! :[

I think members of this forum can't really answer this question for you. It really does depend on your circumstances. Factoring in the issues:

Portability - Laptop vs Desktop - do you need to take your laptop to college, university etc? If so, you'd be better holding onto the MacBook.

Performance - what sort of day to day programs do you require? The iMac will have a greater upgradability. If you're a history student like me, the most you'll need is Pages or Word. E.g. You could sell your MacBook and buy a cheaper PowerBook that would be able to be a cheap workhorse. So you wouldn't lose the flexibility of the desktop/ laptop system you have at the moment, yet still have change.

Money - how much money do you need, more or less? You may well get more money from either depending on the condition and performance of the two computers.

Screen size - speaks for itself - 13" MacBook vs 24" iMac. But you could sell the iMac and pick up another LCD to plug your MacBook into and have a lot of change.

I hope others can help you more, but those are the questions I'd ask to try and help. Good luck! :)

David

Thanks for the reply!

As of right now, I am leaning towards getting rid of the iMac. Although it is powerful, I would rather have a portable mac to replace my thinkpad (that I love very much!)

Thanks for your reply again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
As nice as the iMac is I would also probably get rid of it, since money is tight as a student. The MB is more than capable of handling a little photoshop, and all your other every day computer needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.