MacBook - Enhanced Cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz Core Duo, 320GB, 4GB DDR2.
Now to some the temperature of their MacBook is not an issue them. Neither is it to me; however, since I've upgraded my mac to the limit of its RAM and recently upgraded the hard drive where I have 100GB free since I can't upgrade the CPU without actually fitting a different logic board which would be slightly defeating the point and would be easier to just to upgrade to the MacBook Pro when I just want to keep this one for now.

I have been looking into ways of increasing the performance by increasing its cooling efficiency. I've got some new Artic Silver thermal compound which should be broke in in another 100 hours and may even try their premium compound with the random french sounding name. It seems to have lowered my CPU temperature and evened out the difference in temperate between the heatsink and the core.
The macbook's case itself isn't one that is good for cooling to begin with so seening as I've been thinking about replacing the casing of it anyway I thought perhaps a more adventurous approach may be in order :p

Any ideas where I might be able to adapt the case for optimum cooling?

Knowledge of better performance fans that will fit inside the allocated space?

Possiblity of bettering the venturi air flow from the CPU heatsink?

Adaptations/modification of the heatsink?

for those with an issue of heat I would reccomend you check out this manufacturer of thermal compound: http://www.arcticsilver.com/#http://www.arcticsilver.com/# I used Silver 5 and got it off eBay cheaper with the cleaner and purifier. This won't drastically improve it, but it will lower your temperatures. - Although as someone has pointed out most are familiar with this anyway lol

My goal is to lower my temperature another 10 degrees under full load. Purely for the achievement of it without the aid of external cooling devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't help you with the questions about enhanced cooling, however, I can give you some advice about posting here...

Using colors is nice in certain instances but entire paragraphs in GREEN and BLUE are very difficult to read, causing many folks to skip over your post.

And BTW, most folks here are already familiar with Arctic Silver heat transfer compound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.