PowerMac G5 Quad Vs new iMac i3, to change or not to change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad, MacBook Core Duo
Hi everyone!
Now I own Power Mac G5 2.5GHzx4 core, 4Gb RAM.
I'm thinking about changing my good old PowerMac with new iMac i3 21.5. Unfortunately i havn't enough money to MacPro.

I often use Adobe CS suit on my Mac, especially InDesign. I often making books with more than 100 pages with many pictures. And my old G5 doing it very fast. But with G5 I'm stuck at MacOs 10.5 and Adobe CS3.

Will InDesign (Illustrator, Photoshop) run on new iMac i3 as fast(may be even faster) as on my G5? Or it will be slower?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's no doubt the new i3 iMac 21.5" machine is going to be faster, however, your G5 is still a very nice machine. The problem is that the G5 is a PPC machine and you're limited to Leopard and those apps that can be run on a PPC. Why don't you try to sell your G5 and use the money you get from it to buy a new i3 iMac 21.5"? I have no idea what a new iMac would cost you in Russia, but you should be able to sell the G5 for a good price.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad, MacBook Core Duo
There's no doubt the new i3 iMac 21.5" machine is going to be faster,

Thank you! I supposed that but didn't be sure.

The problem is that the G5 is a PPC machine and you're limited to Leopard and those apps that can be run on a PPC.

This is main reason why I decided to chage G5.

Why don't you try to sell your G5 and use the money you get from it to buy a new i3 iMac 21.5"? I have no idea what a new iMac would cost you in Russia, but you should be able to sell the G5 for a good price.

I can sell my G5 Quad + Apple Cinema 23' for about 1500$. A new iMac 21.5 i3 3.06 costs the same price, i3 3.2 is more expensive at 300$. I think it will be good deal for me!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Another issue with a PPC is that you can't use anything higher than CS4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.