• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple issues review guidelines for Mac App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Here is another one. Some of what Apple is going to reject will stop many Apps that I use daily. I hope they do not stop getting apps from outside the app store! If they ever do, the Mac will not be a viable platform for me any longer. Again, time will tell.

Apple's Mac App Store Review Guidelines posted -- will Photoshop make it in? -- Engadget

I'm kind of in a headspin from reading the first URL- err.. what apps will drop dead in the Mac App Store that you use normally?

(Thank goodness it won't be the only way to obtain Mac OS X applications).

Reaction score
I sure hope it'll as easy to UNINSTALL on the mac as it is on my ipod touch. I have to think twice about installing apps on my mac, and get really nervous when I see an app that I don't remember installing or that has an install wizard instead of just letting you drag and drop into the apps folder

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So does this mean no more or fewer "Fart" apps!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As long as the Mac App Store is merely supplemental to the usual method of obtaining applications, then I have no problem with it being restrictive. Sure, the developers will get less exposure by not being listed in the store, but since when has that stopped them before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm not a fan if the idea thus far, but I'll withhold judgement until it's released. It appears to be a good first step in conditioning people to be more accepting of the walled-garden or Borg method of software management. The computer world seems to be moving towards one size fits all lately. Another plus for Linux in my book. Still, maybe this is the best-est thing ever. We'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Honestly, I think the Mac App Store will sort of be like a built-in MacUpdate or VersionTracker. In the end, no one will be forced to use it, and I can't imagine that software devs will ever only distribute software via the store.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I see this Mac App store to be more like Steam but for OS X apps. Some free and some paid. Sure you can get your games outside of steam but through steam is just really convenient for some people. And I see the Mac App store being along the same lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.