New Macbook Airs vs White Macbook a little issue I am having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I am having a little issue here. I am finding it really hard to recommend the MBA's over the white MB. To the point where people ask me should I get one of the new MBA's and I am like "no get the white MB it's better".

MacBook Air - Buy MacBook Air notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)
Go there and click compare and you can easily compare the stats of the MBA's and the white MB.

And my question is is there a reason to recommend the MBA over the MB. I can only see Screen resolution, SSD and thin-ness (for those obsessed about it). Are those worth the extra cost, slower CPU and lack of superdrive? I really think not.

But I want to ask you all. What do you all think?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The new MBA would be on my short list if I were looking to purchase a new notebook. I'd also be looking at the top of the line 15". For me it'd be between the $1600 MBA or the $2200 MBP. Big difference in specs there.

I also have multiple computers and multiple OSs at my disposal. What type of things do I do with my current MBP? Do I really need the benefit of that superior hardware? I use my current MBP on my lap lounging in the recliner well over 90% of the time. And that time has diminished significantly with the iPad. It's no longer used for much of anything video related as my Win7 box and the software I have there will blow away every single thing I do from ripping to encoding to burning on my Macs.

Optical drive on my MBP?? I think it's been used exactly one time in the last 2+ years if I take away installing an OS, iLife and iWork.

From instant on to being silent as my iPad to the option of the app store to no longer requiring the latest and greatest for game playing to no longer only having a single computer in the house as we did for years, the new MBA becomes quite a viable option for me as a replacement for my MBP when it comes that time.

Ultimately, it would probably take me a month of solid consideration between the 2 of them. But at this point, in light of my enjoyment with my iPad, on my short list, yep, you betcha it'd be there.

But, to answer your question - for someone looking at the MBA as their only computer, I'm with you, can't even begin to recommend it for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think that people who really cant decide between the two don't really need a MBA for the reasons that it exists. I would go with the MBA simply because of its size, weight, better materials, and way better looks. Though the processor on the MBA is slower than on the MB, I'm willing to bet that it will seem faster due to the SSD and on-board memory. I really want a base MBA, pretty much just strictly for school. I love my mbp, and it's super thin for what it is, but if I can lose some size and weight, while still having the same functions, I'm sold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd like to see the benchmarks for the new MBA with the integrated flash strorage, as I'm wondering how the slow processor with flash story relates to real time performance.
Lack of optical drive isn't as big of a dilemma as it was as now having the software reinstall stick.... but wondering about that stick and how well it works.
The non upgradeable side of things, and the lack of ports, still rules out the MBA as a sole system in my eyes, while the sleek design and the display gives it a mighty "hello there, buy me" voice! :D
I really would have liked to have seen the addition of ports and the usb superdrive as part of the package!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
The MBAs should be fantastic for people who need the smallest possible package for travel etc. If that isn't an overriding concern, then a "conventional" sized MB with better specs probably is a better choice, no doubt about it.

No denying the new MBAs are sexy little critters.

Reaction score
Good old Apple. I'm on their mailing list, and apple air emails are flying in.

Will look at it later.

Not much point if you have the ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
Got to agree with CanuckBoater. Since I bought my iPad, I see absolutely no need for the new MBA. Having said that it is beautiful, and I really want one. I just simply cannot justify it.

To me it is a secondary computer for once you have that primary iMac or MBP powerhouse at home. If you want a good all-rounder, the MacBook is your best bet. On the other hand, the MB and MBP may be in for an update in the next couple of months, so you could even hold out a little longer for something newer.

David

Reaction score
As an only computer the uMB is the clear winner. It has more ports, CD drive for music/DVDs and a bigger screen (comparing like for like price models).

IMO MBA is only good if you *need* the portability otherwise the best performance/$ is with uMB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
the best performance/$ is with uMB.

That's HIGHLY debatable! I've been reading some reviews, like most other people who are interested in it, and it seems like a base mba can pull up data faster than a regular mb. Honestly, the only thing I hate about the new mba is that it doesn't have a backlit keyboard.

..but, I would rather test it myself before believing anyone else.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I am having a little issue here. I am finding it really hard to recommend the MBA's over the white MB. To the point where people ask me should I get one of the new MBA's and I am like "no get the white MB it's better".

MacBook Air - Buy MacBook Air notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)
Go there and click compare and you can easily compare the stats of the MBA's and the white MB.

And my question is is there a reason to recommend the MBA over the MB. I can only see Screen resolution, SSD and thin-ness (for those obsessed about it). Are those worth the extra cost, slower CPU and lack of superdrive? I really think not.

But I want to ask you all. What do you all think?

I still think the MBA is a rip off, much like a gaming notebook. This has always been my stance on the MBA and it is still the same even with the new update.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I still think the MBA is a rip off, much like a gaming notebook. This has always been my stance on the MBA and it is still the same even with the new update.

I agree with you concerning the old MacBook Air; it was too expensive for what you got, however, with the new one and an entry level price of $999, that prices it about $200 more than the most expensive iPad. I think there are some folks who will opt for the new Air over an iPad.

Reaction score
The MBAs should be fantastic for people who need the smallest possible package for travel etc. If that isn't an overriding concern, then a "conventional" sized MB with better specs probably is a better choice, no doubt about it.

No denying the new MBAs are sexy little critters.

Agreed, I don't think the MBA is designed as a replacement for much more powerful MacBook & MacBook Pros. I think there are positives and negatives of having a MBA but if you are looking for a second Book so to speak and you travel a lot then I think having a MBA would be a good choice for using it when traveling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just got to spend some quality time with the new MBA's at the apple store. I've got to say, I could kind of care less about the 13"mba, but the 11" totally surprised me! When holding it, it feels like the highest quality computer you have ever held! It was SUPER fast at turning off/on/standby. I'm completely sold on it. It will be my next mac purchase without a doubt.

Reaction score
For me, I travel over 100,000 miles/year. My family has 2 iMacs, 2 plastic MBs and one 17" MBP, plus my iPad. I think Steve should send me a thank you basket this Christmas ... When I travel, I need my computer for email, surfing, MS Office apps, using Remote Desktop Connection to log into my office network and (occasionally) playing online poker. That's it.

The iPad, as much as I love it, is not the right machine for that because I really need a keyboard for my legal documents and to access my company's email via RDC behind the firewall. I can get the iPad to do it, but it's cumbersome without a keyboard and by the time I lug a bluetooth keyboard along, it's about the same weight as the 11" MBA. Right now, I take my Blackbook when I travel and need a PC - but at over 5 lbs travel weight with adapter, there's a big difference for me between it and the smaller MBA.

You cannot evaluate a MBA without asking yourself whether travel weight is your primary consideration. If it isn't, then it simply doesn't stack up in any price/value comparison with any other Mac notebook. It's cool but if lightness is not the key factor,
then don't bother. If travel weight is your key, so long as you have acceptable functionality for basic tasks, then the MBA is ideal.

I would never use the MBA as anything other than a travel buddy. Happy with my iMacs when I want screen real estate.

I am the target market for this machine. :) and am road testing them this weekend at my local Apple store. I would prefer to have over 2 ghz for a processor but would probably find 1.86 acceptable for what I do.

And let me tell you, as a road warrior, there's a huge difference between traveling with a 4.5 lb MBP13 and a 2.3 lb MBA in terms of the sheer 'lugging' factor. Doesn't sound like much, but it's real.

Cheers

PS - and for those of you waiting for Sandy Bridge-based MBAs, it will be awhile. The low voltages required for the MBA won't be available in the Sandy Bridge architecture until the second half of next year, so it will be a pretty long wait. My guess is Apple will stick with the C2D chips until then for the MBA, although they may upgrade the MBPs to Sandy Bridge before then. Those machines will really scream then - remember, the MBA is just not about top performance, but about form factor and weight along with acceptable performance. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
I'm going to be headed out to take care of a few work-related errands shortly, and I'm going to stop by the Apple Store while I'm out to take a look at the new MBA.

My current, pre-hands-on reaction to the MBA vs. MBW debate: it's a lot like the Duo vs. low-end PowerBook 100 series argument used to be (minus the docking part). The PowerBook 145, the low-end model when the Duos hit the scene, did feel clunky and old-fashioned when compared to the Duo 210 and 230, but was the favorite among those who wanted the most computer for the least money. Obviously there are some features missing on the MBA, just as there were on the Duo line, but there will be a niche of customers it will appeal to. The 11" model is a necessity in a world where small laptops are increasingly popular, and the price point will help it sell better than the old MBA did.

Everything I've seen about the MBA has indicated that it is a better engineered machine than the MBW is. The downfall of the computer, of course, is the fact that the entire logic board needs to be swapped to upgrade the RAM. Hmm...where have we seen that before from Steve Jobs? Oh, that's right--in 1984 when the Mac 512K came out and RAM was hard-soldered to the boards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
The 11" model is a necessity in a world where small laptops are increasingly popular...

...and lack a real design. Seriously, I've been looking at a lot of netbooks within the 11" size, and I can't come up with anything that I like. Whether it's design, or overall feel/functionality, I don't like anything that's available. I don't know about you, but why are most netbooks as thick or thicker than a regular notebook? Also, I don't get why other netbooks have full size connectors(like a vga connector, a whole hdmi port, etc). Leave that stuff for the big notebooks, or add a smaller connection. I think this is where the MBA excels. They also are slow... I am not a fan of any atom processors. Their screens...wow are they crap! Finally, there is something that I like, and what-da-you-know, it's from Apple...figures. I just have to save up for one.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree with you concerning the old MacBook Air; it was too expensive for what you got, however, with the new one and an entry level price of $999, that prices it about $200 more than the most expensive iPad. I think there are some folks who will opt for the new Air over an iPad.

If you can't tell I'm not a iPad fan either. >_>"

The reason why I don't like the MBA is that you loose all options on user upgrades. You can't install more RAM, or add more storage space. The majority of the machine is dedicated to the battery and yet...it only has 5hrs when the MB gets double that.

I would seriously hate to think what would happen if there was a liquid spill on this machine as the storage media isn't housed in anything.

Yes it looks looks nice but I think I can carry the extra 2.4 lbs difference of a MB. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't get why people are trying SO hard to justify the purchase of a mba over any other macbooks. Like I said before, if you are really comparing the two, you don't need a mba, and are just drawn to it for aesthetic reasons. For people who actually have been in the market for such a computer, it has finally come!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't get why people are trying SO hard to justify the purchase of a mba over any other macbooks. Like I said before, if you are really comparing the two, you don't need a mba, and are just drawn to it for aesthetic reasons. For people who actually have been in the market for such a computer, it has finally come!

Yes it is nice to have options in computing. I'm just pointing out that you get less options when compared to the other MB lines and yet it cost the same price or more when compared to the others. It's nice that it isn't as overpriced as it was before. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.