New Macbook Airs vs White Macbook a little issue I am having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'd like to see the benchmarks for the new MBA with the integrated flash strorage, as I'm wondering how the slow processor with flash story relates to real time performance.

There are various benchmarks showing the SSD in the MBA absolutely slaughtering top end MBPs with 5400 drives, and even the Intel X25. Check out Arsetechnica.

I played with the 13inch MBA in the 5th Avenue Apple Store in Manhattan. It completely blows away the MacBook - sure, the CPU is a little slower, but the SSD makes up for it and the 320m is doing all the hard work on screen.

Not only that, but the screen quality is the same as the MBP (which is much better than the standard MB), 180 degree viewing angle with no color loss, much higher resolution (and yes, it makes a difference) and the boot time from off is 15 seconds, rather than about 50 seconds. Even my MacBook with an SSD takes at least 20 seconds.

My next notebook would be a MBA, but there is one caveat. If you already have an iPad, then you already have ultra-portability... so I am not sure if it makes sense for me. But it's a great machine, streets ahead of the original.

Oh, one more thing... get 4GBs. It's an extra $100, but 2GBs is just too weedy these days. I know, that's what I have!

Reaction score
I had a chance to play with the 11" MBA a few hours ago when I was out, and I've decided to go with it over an iPad or iPod Touch for my next purchase. It's exactly what I'm looking for--an ultra-light, ultra-portable computer that actually can function as a real computer, not a glorified PDA. The keyboard was very nice and aside from a smaller space bar should not be any problem for me as far as adjustments.

The only thing it lacks for me is FireWire, since all my video equipment is FireWire based, but I figure I can keep using my old MacBook for that.

I clocked startup at 16 seconds. My Macs never start up that fast except for my old Mac Classic with System 6, which takes 19 seconds.

I think the extra $100 for 4GB will be worth it and will be going ahead and doing exactly that when the time comes to buy my MBA. I'm probably going to pick it up on Black Friday, but I was very close to purchasing it today with the cash I've set aside for the past year to use on a new laptop.

It won't be replacing my MacBook, just supplementing it. This way I can leave the larger laptop at home and take this little guy with me on the go.

The only question I will ultimately have relates to its heat. I've read the early tests and have heard it runs fairly cool. Most of the Apple laptops I have run pretty hot with the exception of my clamshell iBook, and I'd be interested to see how the MBA stacks up in the long term once folks have done serious work on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Just incidentally - the Core 2 Duo is still a very fast chip for regular laptop computing, and honestly the i3 isn't really much better. Sure, an i5 or i7 are streets ahead, but they come with a high power consumption penalty, and the need for 2 GPUs (a rubbish one and a discrete one).

I am looking forward to seeing what AMD do in this space. I suspect Apple will be taking a look, especially if nVidia and Intel don't agree something. I can't see even entry level Macs staying on the C2D in 2 or 3 years time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yes it is nice to have options in computing. I'm just pointing out that you get less options when compared to the other MB lines and yet it cost the same price or more when compared to the others. It's nice that it isn't as overpriced as it was before. I'll leave it at that.

Oh yeah, no doubt! The 13mbp is a great deal as a stock version. To me, it makes the w-mb look expensive though. But for people like me, who already have a 15" or greater mbp, a 13"mbp is kind of a waste...why not get the air. Plus, I need all the extra space I can get, while still having the same sweet OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53 C2D, 7200 500 GB HD, 32GB 3GS, 32GB iSlate, Extreme, Express, Magic Mouse, BT Keyboard
Just incidentally - the Core 2 Duo is still a very fast chip for regular laptop computing, and honestly the i3 isn't really much better. Sure, an i5 or i7 are streets ahead, but they come with a high power consumption penalty, and the need for 2 GPUs (a rubbish one and a discrete one).

I am looking forward to seeing what AMD do in this space. I suspect Apple will be taking a look, especially if nVidia and Intel don't agree something. I can't see even entry level Macs staying on the C2D in 2 or 3 years time.

Love the streets ahead reference! Pierce is the man. You are right about the C2D being equivalent to an i3. The benchmarks are the same. Our Apple Store doesn't have the new MBA's in yet and I cant wait to see the new goods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro. 2.66GHz. 8GB RAM. 256GB SSD. Hi-Res Antiglare Display
Had I known this topic existed (stumbled upon this thread tonight), I could have saved a hour or so at the Apple Store just last weekend..

As noted, I dealt with making a decision between these two Mac's. My 12 year old daughter had been using a 14" iBook (G4) and I felt it was time for a upgrade. In a nutshell, the MBA's seem to be excellent products for what they are (as most have suggested here) but in the end, I decided on the MB for her (again, for the very reasons some have suggested here such as the only computer she would have access to in my home). She's happy and so-far the new MB has been great for her. So I have to agree, if you're limited to just one Mac, the MB is most likely the logical choice between the two Mac's in question here.

Reaction score
I am looking at getting into a MBA. I have never owned or actually used a Mac. 20 years of Windoze. I played with a 13 MBA this past weekend and it seems OK. I will be using it for school, web and email. What your thoughts on my wanting to get a MBA?

Thanks guys

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I am looking at getting into a MBA. I have never owned or actually used a Mac. 20 years of Windoze. I played with a 13 MBA this past weekend and it seems OK. I will be using it for school, web and email. What your thoughts on my wanting to get a MBA?

Thanks guys

It's your money and you can do whatever you want with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that was really helpful. Looks like this forum is a lot like other ones where people don't seem to want to help, only increase their post count.

You asked for an opinion and you got one. There was certainly no need to come back with a snide remark about post count. And as far as us wanting to help - perhaps you need to read thru these forums a bit more and see all the help that's provided.

We get numerous posts from folks who ask what they should buy and what are our thoughts on it. I'm sure the other forums you visited get the same. In the end you're the person who has to make up his\her mind about the purchase.

I suggest visiting your local Apple store or Best Buy and test a new Air for yourself. First off, the machine is too new to get any kind of user response. MacWorld Magazine did a quick overview on the Air. You can take a look on their website.

Reaction score
Now that was really helpful. Looks like this forum is a lot like other ones where people don't seem to want to help, only increase their post count.
if this is going to be your first and only mac i suggest you get the macbook. the air is more for people who has a 15inch macbook or mac desktop and these who travels alot.
You asked for an opinion and you got one. There was certainly no need to come back with a snide remark about post count. And as far as us wanting to help - perhaps you need to read thru these forums a bit more and see all the help that's provided.

We get numerous posts from folks who ask what they should buy and what are our thoughts on it. I'm sure the other forums you visited get the same. In the end you're the person who has to make up his\her mind about the purchase.

I suggest visiting your local Apple store or Best Buy and test a new Air for yourself. First off, the machine is too new to get any kind of user response. MacWorld Magazine did a quick overview on the Air. You can take a look on their website.

what a great way to help contributing to the community.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

Thanks guys

If you like it, buy it. I have played around with both the 11" and 13" and I seem to prefer the 11" more because you are legitimately buying that for size. I don't believe the 13" mba is that worth it since the overall width is not that different from a regular mbp. I like the 11.6" A LOT! If you have the means to get a macbook air, get the 11.6, if you want the 13", save your money and get the mbp with an ssd!

While this might seem like a bad reply, I think the question, "What your thoughts on my wanting to get a MBA?" only begs for that response. You want a mba? Go for it, it's your money!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
what a great way to help contributing to the community.

Your response was more helpful? In what way? First off, you have no idea how good or bad the new MacBook Air is or whether or not it's suitable for the person who asked. You gave an opinion which was not based on fact or actual use.

Anyway, this thread is devolving rapidly. Time to end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.