your opinion on osx lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 2G RAM 160G HD
The one photo with the icons all over the screen made it look like, well, I hate to say it but, Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
koban4max said:
your opinion on osx lion...

hmmm... a bit tough to offer an opinion "sight unseen"!!! I'll wait until it's released, installed and been in use a week or 2 before posting my thoughts, methinks ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The features that were demonstrated during Apple's event yesterday were quite nice. I really liked the launchpad, the full-screen mode for PDF's especially..mission control is also nice though I'll probably have less use for that..

All in all, it's got some solid features for an OS iteration and if the pricing of Lion follows Snow Leopard, then it's a VERY worthy upgrade..

Regards

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Um, the screen with icons as you put it all over the desktop is from the iPad. It's an option as a way to get more Applications on the OS as the Dock is getting quite crowded.

I like all the options in Lion so far. Some have said too many options. To me different users will get along with different options better than other users will.

An on the App Store for Mac, as long as Apple does not completely ban Applications say from a DVD, CD or other places then their store, I have nothing against it. If they make the Mac App Store only, then I have an issue.

I chatted with a "FRIEND" last night who feels Apple is out to GET US and Lion is all Cloud. I pointed out that True Cloud computing will be Applications and your data in a cloud and NOT on the desktop. He feels the App Store is full on cloud since you do not get Physical Media. I asked where he has been? I was downloading Netscape off a server 15 years ago. Apps for download is not new and not Cloud Computing.

Sorry for the Rant but this friend was the person that got me to try OSX and now hates Apple and anything connected with them. :D

My friend also feels Ubuntu is now a Cloud OS and will no longer run that either. I think he will freak when he reads that Microsoft as early as next year is making Cloud versions of Office! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They have still got over 6 months on this one, so it will be interesting to see how it develops in the next few months

I also hope it is priced liked snow leopard, or at least not too much more

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They have still got over 6 months on this one, so it will be interesting to see how it develops in the next few months

I also hope it is priced liked snow leopard, or at least not too much more

Agreed. A lot could happen by next summer! :D

This statement could be totally wrong, but I am guessing since Lion will be a totally new OSX and not a upgrade like SL, it might go back to the normal $129. Time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
I think it looks good!! watched the presentation yesterday.. but I might just wait until they bring out Snow Lion! LOL!!!...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This is ridiculous, but I don't like the name. I wasn't a huge fan of the big cat series of names anyway, though I sort of liked leopard as a name. But, lion leaves me cold (I guess snow lion would leave me even colder ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
This is ridiculous, but I don't like the name. I wasn't a huge fan of the big cat series of names anyway, though I sort of liked leopard as a name. But, lion leaves me cold (I guess snow lion would leave me even colder ;))

muwahahahaha!!!

lion-in-snow.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You gotta larf when we do not know any details, but at the end of the day what is in a name? Snow Leopard was unpopular when Leopard was upgraded, signified an update and not an upgrade.

And Lions are smelly, lazy, sex crazed animals leaving the females to do all the hunting and work, so it may fit here?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So harry, Lion OS is smelly, lazy and does no work?? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The one photo with the icons all over the screen made it look like, well, I hate to say it but, Windows

Windows 3.1 no less....

That aside, frankly, this making your desktop computer look like an iOS device is just stupid. I do a lot more things with my desktop/laptop that I can/will with my iOS device. Apple needs to realize that pushing that way is a bit silly.

Some of the other new features look good though.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Can we have opinions on something we haven't fully experienced yet?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
That aside, frankly, this making your desktop computer look like an iOS device is just stupid. I do a lot more things with my desktop/laptop that I can/will with my iOS device. Apple needs to realize that pushing that way is a bit silly.
That was my first reaction as well. Most of the features seem like glitz and glitter that give good demos. However, they'll be easy enough to ignore and/or switch off if you don't use them. It doesn't look like Apple is actually dumbing down the desktop OS to iOS levels.

The App Store is a big deal, but that will be coming to Snow Leopard as well.

Reaction score
Um, the screen with icons as you put it all over

I chatted with a "FRIEND" last night who feels Apple is out to GET US and Lion is all Cloud. I pointed out that True Cloud computing will be Applications and your data in a cloud and NOT on the desktop. He feels the App Store is full on cloud since you do not get Physical Media. I asked where he has been? I was downloading Netscape off a server 15 years ago. Apps for download is not new and not Cloud Computing.

:D

Don't dismiss your friend's comments. I had an iphone for 2 weeks and then passed it on (actually needed a phone that worked for calls). During those 2 weeks, I realized what an expensive time waster apps. are.

My expense was someone else's gain.

For 2 weeks.

Never again. And, if Apple is going the App model re: software, those nickels and dimes for apps do add up and many will rebel.

Lots of conjecture, but I sense your friend is onto something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No comment. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Not too worried about the name.... and as some said; i'll form my opinion once i have it for a few weeks, which I hope happens once I get a new Mac (and no, not an Air, I want a MacBook Pro)

OP
K
Reaction score
hmmm... a bit tough to offer an opinion "sight unseen"!!! I'll wait until it's released, installed and been in use a week or 2 before posting my thoughts, methinks ;)

It's not the experience that I'm talking. Just from what you read, I just want your thought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.