BluRay for Macs

Reaction score
:\I need a BluRay burner/reader for my Macbook and iMac. Does anybody know if I can simply put an internal burner like the LG BH10LS30 into an external 5.25" firewire enclosure? This appears to be a much, much cheaper alternative to buying an existing external burner such as Sony's BDX-S500U .

Will the LG BH10LS30 work on OSX.6 in an external enclosure ? (I'm anticipating using Toast 10 for burning.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No reason why not, but I have read that people have had a great deal of trouble in actually getting it to work properly, and you will need Toast with the Blu Ray plug in for burning, which you have realised.
Something to consider though, in my opinion you will really need firewire800 as a connection, because the data transfer will be quicker and more stable.
Out of interest what are you burning? You can burn 25 minutes of Blu Ray to DVD in Toast.

Reaction score
Another burning software?

I've just got a Panasonic Blu Ray burner forU$130 at eBay (new), external USB. Haven't arrived yet, but I am already looking for software to burn stuff. Rip stuff is pretty easy, done with freeware...

Now, to burn I am just seing paid software like Roxio Toast (~$80) or NCH Express Burn (~$38). Toast is toasted on comments on Amazon and Cnet download.com. No way I will pay $80 for something that several people say is crap, with terrible support. Not many comment about NCH...

Anybody know any freeware available PLEASE????
I need only to burn data, no fancy Blu-ray videos with menus and titles...

Thanx

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. Kevriano, I have Firewire 800 on my iMac. Haven't seen the F'wire ext.box yet, so don't know whether it's 400 or 800, or both. It's a PC dealer who has it, and when I called him, he didn't know anything about F'wire. So I figured I'd better call in to check it myself. (I found it listed on his website, with very little info) But I take your point about F'wire 800.
I did read a review of the Buffalo ext burner recently, and, to the surprise of all, especially the reviewer, and contrary to everyone's beliefs, USB2 performed better with burning than Firewire on that drive! - can't remember if it was 400 or 800 though, probably 400 - still surprising, though.
Oh, and by the way guys, I'm in Australia. So, unfortunately, things are usually a little more expensive down here in Oz - despite our $ almost reaching parity with US$. I guess the dealers figure that we're so used to getting ripped off, why not keep stickin' it to 'em?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I've just got a Panasonic Blu Ray burner forU$130 at eBay (new), external USB. Haven't arrived yet, but I am already looking for software to burn stuff. Rip stuff is pretty easy, done with freeware...

Now, to burn I am just seing paid software like Roxio Toast (~$80) or NCH Express Burn (~$38). Toast is toasted on comments on Amazon and Cnet download.com. No way I will pay $80 for something that several people say is crap, with terrible support. Not many comment about NCH...

Anybody know any freeware available PLEASE????
I need only to burn data, no fancy Blu-ray videos with menus and titles...

Thanx

No freeware that I know of, and Toast only gets bad reviews from people who haven't learned how to use it properly. It's a fine program. Remember there is no native support for Blu Ray burning on Mac as yet, though Final Cut Pro has the option.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Kevriano, I have Firewire 800 on my iMac. Haven't seen the F'wire ext.box yet, so don't know whether it's 400 or 800, or both. It's a PC dealer who has it, and when I called him, he didn't know anything about F'wire. So I figured I'd better call in to check it myself. (I found it listed on his website, with very little info) But I take your point about F'wire 800.
I did read a review of the Buffalo ext burner recently, and, to the surprise of all, especially the reviewer, and contrary to everyone's beliefs, USB2 performed better with burning than Firewire on that drive! - can't remember if it was 400 or 800 though, probably 400 - still surprising, though.
Oh, and by the way guys, I'm in Australia. So, unfortunately, things are usually a little more expensive down here in Oz - despite our $ almost reaching parity with US$. I guess the dealers figure that we're so used to getting ripped off, why not keep stickin' it to 'em?

Yeah, you do get ripped off a little at the moment, though 18 months ago you were ok!
I would reckon the Buffalo was 400 too.
Out of interest to you, I came across this, designed for use with Mac, so compatibility may be easier. No prices mentioned, but may be orth a look.

MCE Internal 12X Blu-ray Recordable Drive for Mac Pro and Power Mac

Reaction score
I'm in Australia. So, unfortunately, things are usually a little more expensive down here in Oz - despite our $ almost reaching parity with US$. I guess the dealers figure that we're so used to getting ripped off, why not keep stickin' it to 'em?

You are closer to China and Singapore than us...the shipping should cost less!;P
Nothing is made in USA anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.