Max harddrive size for MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a new (internal) harddrive, and I needed to know if there were any limits as to the size of the harddrive that can be put into a Macbook Pro.

A few details about my Macbook:
I bought it earlier this year.
The Processor is the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and I have 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM.
It's the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I'm just running out of harddrive space (got the stock 250GB HD when I bought it.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The largest notebook drive available is 750GB, but it's a full height 12.5mm model, which can be problematic in some MacBook Pro models due to the slim construction. Your best bet is to go with a 500GB - and if that's not enough, consider a portable, bus-powered external drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
The largest notebook drive available is 750GB, but it's a full height 12.5mm model, which can be problematic in some MacBook Pro models due to the slim construction. Your best bet is to go with a 500GB - and if that's not enough, consider a portable, bus-powered external drive.

Thanks. I was aware of the 750GB HDD, but I wasn't sure if it would work -- I come from a lot of Windows computers that don't like to recognize larger HDDs, so I was wondering if I would run into the same situation with the MBP, or if I shouldn't worry about that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I was aware of the 750GB HDD, but I wasn't sure if it would work -- I come from a lot of Windows computers that don't like to recognize larger HDDs, so I was wondering if I would run into the same situation with the MBP, or if I shouldn't worry about that.

Older PCs, depending on BIOS and OS can have issues with larger hard disks - and the same goes for older Macs. But anything made in the last 5-7 years should be fine.

Actually, I'm now reading that 1TB models are available in laptop form-factor. Apparently I'm not keeping up with recent trends. Perhaps they've come down in physical size now too.

OP
N
Reaction score
Alright. I appreciate the help, and I hope I can find what I need. I'll keep looking for some HDDs. They're just standard notebook HDD sizes, right? Or would I have to find a smaller one?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. I appreciate the help, and I hope I can find what I need. I'll keep looking for some HDDs. They're just standard notebook HDD sizes, right? Or would I have to find a smaller one?

Just be mindful of the height. Most laptop HDDs are 9.5mm. The newer, larger units are broaching 12.5mm and they can be very tight or not fit physically in some models. If it's really tight, ventilation can be a problem, leading to shorter service life or worse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.