Boot camp and Parallel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I got an OEM version of Windows 7. Can Boot Camp be used in conjunction with Parallel or does it have to be one or the other? I want to use it with Parallel but want to try it with Boot Camp first.

Also, it brings me to another question. If I installed OEM Win 7 with boot camp, can I reinstalled when I get Parallel without losing software key approval from MS as long as it's installed on the same MBP 13?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A great many install Windows using BootCamp so that you have hardware access when you need it. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion will run your BootCamped installation within OS X, so there is no need for a second install. You will have to authorize it again, but this is not a problem and you'll have the option for launching the single install either from within OS X as a vm or re-booting to run it natively.

Also, give a read of the sticky thread.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have looked through some of the instructions for install Parallel. But I don't see anything within the video instruction about partitioning the HDD. Is it because you don't need to with using Parallel?

Thanks for info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You don't need to create a partition if using parallels, it creates a dedicated folder for the installation and all your files. It comes down to what you really want, if you want to use both OSX and Win7 quite regularly I would go with parallels, if not and if you can cope with booting into one or the other use bootcamp. I have found that the latest version of parallels works seemlessly with Win7 for me, it uses all the hardware no problem, of course with parallels it will use only a portion of the RAM, CPU and GPU because it is booting from within OSX.
Your choice really :D

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
To be clear - you can use Parallels to access your bootcamp partiton - which is what Bob was suggesting, or you can run Parallels off of a virtual disk, this means there is nothing to partiton as Buzzard suggested. The virtual disk is a file on your Mac Partition. I recommend using Bootcamp and Parallels in conjunction. That way you have access to the PC from within the Mac, but if you need the full power of your computer you can boot directly into Windows. Any changes you make to your PC will be reflected in either Parallels or Bootcamp as you are running the same disk partition.
Here is Apple's support for bootcamp (info on how to partition is here, Parallels' instruction expects that you already did the whole bootcamp thing.)
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the help guys.

I'm trying hard not to get confused. So my understanding is this:

Boot camp> partition for PC side> Parallel= use both boot camp and Parallel

or

Parallel>dedicated folder to PC side> Same Mac HD drive partition> May limit usage of hardware and processor = Parallel within OSX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you're confusing yourself.

The Boot Camp method of running Windows actually sets up a dual boot for your Mac. That requires a dedicated partition on your hard drive for Windows.

Whereas the use of VM software (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox) creates a large file on your MacIntosh HD where Windows is installed. No partitioning required.

What Ivan suggested is to use Boot Camp to create a partition for Windows, and install Windows on that partition. Install Parallels and use the built in option that will "see" and "use" your Boot Camp partition as a VM. You will then be able to dual boot when needed, or run Windows without having to reboot.

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag

Thanks, that sort of confirm my understanding from what you guys told me. It's time to give it a try. Whatever I decide to do. Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yeah sorry, to be clear from the top

3 ways to run windows on a Mac
1) Bootcamp/Dual Boot - Either boot into Windows or boot into Mac
2) Virtual Machine (VMWare/Parallels/Virtual Box) install Windows into a virtual partition and run from a file on your Mac (no partitioning)
3) Virtual Machine on top of Bootcamp - (VMWare and Parallels only, Virtual Box cannot currently do this) Maximum flexibility - install Windows througy Bootcamp - then use a virtual machine on that Bootcamp install. This allows
a) Boot into Windows through bootcamp to get the full power of the machine
b) boot into Mac and start Parallels/VMware -> you can use all the windows functionality from a window(s) within the Mac. (Except maybe the most hardcore simulation/3d gaming software)

By the way you can get Parallels for $50 from OWC if you buy one other thing from them (like a $3 cable)
Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac - Run windows alongs... (PD6FM) at OWC
Newer Technology iPhone Headphone Jack Adap... (IPHJACKEXT) at OWC

There is actually a 4th choice if you have enough windows licenses - where you can have a Virtual Machine on top of bootcamp, and multiple virtual machines that just use virtual disks each one with a different install of Windows but that is a lot of disk space and probably a more advanced topic.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought the latest version of Fusion the other day for $9.99 but that was an upgrade. However, I believe you could upgrade even if you had an older version of Parallels or Fusion. Not sure if they still have that deal going on or not. Might be worthwhile to check.

I know this doesn't effect the OP but for others who may be interested it's a great bargain.

I just checked... the promo is still valid. LINK

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed Windows 7 via Parallel without bootcamp or partitioning. It was easy and fantastic. I love my Mac!!! Now I can use Windows if I need to without having to use my stupid HP notebook. Windows boot up much faster, and I can get out of it with a click or swipe. Parallel makes OSx and Windows work seamless. After 10 years and 5 PC notebooks, I finally found the right one in a Mac!
:Cool:

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me here. I have installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my new imac i7 27" 2010 and it works fine. I also installed the trial version of Parallels which points to the Bootcamp of win7, and again, it works fine.

That is, unless another user also wishes the windows 7 applications. I have to shutdown windows on my account in Paralles first before my wife can use it. Is there any work around for this? To allow both users to run the windows installation from Bootcamp at the same time?

Or will I need to install a virtual windows on each account which don't point to the bootcamp partition? I guess this would require a seperate windows and office license?

Hmmm, on the other hand, I am wondering if I somehow installed Parallels onto say the shared folder, still pointing to Bootcamp, would the same instance be able to be used by both Users without having to shutdown windows?

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which version of Win 7? You may be violating the Windows 7 EULA and possibly the one for Parallels as well. The basic and home versions can only run one instance using the same PID. I'm not sure about the registered version of Parallels but since you only have the trial copy, you probably can't share it.

So yes, I suspect you will need to buy another license for Win 7 or use a version (Pro) that can legally be shared. In any event you should check the EULA for both Win 7 and Parallels.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I own a full version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. I own a full version of Windows 7 Ultimate.

OK. No problem sharing Win 7 Ultimate over a network. Not sure of how many shares can be run - I believe up to 10 before you need to buy the server version. Go ahead and use your shared folder idea and let us know if that works for you. I suspect though the activation wizard may kick in and complain.

You also mentioned Office. Are you needing to share that too? The MS EULAs are loaded with legalese and sometimes hard to understand so you may have to contact MS directly and ask them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.