Can you change your "default" startup disk?

Reaction score
My internal HD is currently out of order, and I want to set up my computer so the default HD that it starts up with is my external, cloned hd. Is there any way to set it so I boot from my external hard drive every time without having to select it every time i boot up? Like, make the external the default startup disk rather than the internal... help is appreciated! thanksss! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Go to System Preferences>Start Up Disk and select your external. It has to be connected and mounted before making the change.

OP
N
Reaction score
Go to System Preferences>Start Up Disk and select your external. It has to be connected and mounted before making the change.

Ya, I know how to do that. But, is there any way to set it so i dont have to select it every time i restart in order for it to boot from that particular disk? I want to make it my default for the time being.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ya, I know how to do that. But, is there any way to set it so i dont have to select it every time i restart in order for it to boot from that particular disk? I want to make it my default for the time being.

That is how you do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.