Problem partitioning when installing snow leopard with tiger

Reaction score
I have been trying to instal Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on a Mac Pro running Tiger. Apparently it should be straight forward as one should be able to partition the hard drive to create a new partition for the installation of SL but whenever I try to do this it fails.I am told to make the partition smaller for partitioning to work but whatever size I make a partition I get the same response.Basically the partition process appears to be useless as any newly sized partition isn't small enough.

I would dearly love to make this work because although I have an empty external hard drive which I could use to copy and store my Tiger files on, Tiger still has 120 gigs including all my applications.That assorted Tiger "stuff" will not fit on the new drive unless I prune it severely and I am not confident trying to prune items I do not even understand.
I'm sure there must be something I have overlooking that would enable me to proceed with this partitioning process.It sounds straight forward, it looks straight forward but it just isn't working. I would appreciate it if someone could offer some advice on how to do this successfully.
Thanks
Limey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.