going shopping!

C

catchawave

Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new iBook - after my fiasco with the old Lombard.
My other half felt sorry for me -- I had bought a new laptop case and was so happy with the Lombard til I found out about all the problems and then it DIED on me only after a couple of days!
So, I'm looking at the iBooks... Is there a huge difference between the 12" 1.2GHz and the 14" 1.33GHz? I see the 12" has a 30GB and the 14 has a 60GB.
I really can't spend the extra 300.00 -- I'd almost rather spend the extra cash on applecare. But I don't know...
Right now I'm on an eMac and love it. But it's in trouble too. It needs to get into the shop pretty quick. I should have gotten applecare with the eMac!

Also, the ibook comes with a standard 256MB. Should I upgrade that? I see it has an empty slot. I could either get a 128 to bring it up to 384 or just go for the 512MB.
I need to watch how much I spend. I've already lost my a** on my ebay buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
ok.. first question: the things diff. abount the 12 and 14 is that the 14 is bigger but no better resolution. it has superdrive and has 60gb instead of 30.
second question: if you want to upgrade your ram you can. i bought a 12" with 256 and i love it. you should upgrade if you do like heavy apps.

OP
T

Tel

As far as processor speed is concerned, I doubt you'd be able to notice the difference.

OP
B

btbrossard

I would recommend upgrading the ram. I bought a 512 MB chip to increase the ram to 786 MB total and have been very happy with the performance.

You probably won't notice much of a speed difference between the 1.2 and the 1.33. If you like the compact size of the 12", get that.

Good luck-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
if you're watching your money, i say go for a 12in and get a stick of 512, applecare and call it a day :)

OP
B

badmojo

Also, check Apple's refurb store (red tag) on thie website. You can save a ton of cash and still get a warranty.

OP
C

catchawave

Well I finished my shopping. I went to my local apple store and bought the new ibook. Won't be here til the end of the week tho.
I bought the 12" one. It will fit my needs perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.