Time Capsule or Airport Extreme with attached NAS?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a NAS but Im hearing a lot of bad reports of Time Capsules failing...Will an Airport Extreme with an attached GBit NAS give me the same thing or will it lack functionality?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You are likely reading 2 year old stuff. The reports of the TC failing were in reference to the first gen failing at approx 18 months. My own first gen TC is still going strong at over 3 years old. If the ones you're reading are any newer than that, they're nothing more than the typical hard drive failure - there are no consistent reports of the current model TC having a failure rate higher than any other similar device that I've seen.

However, if you're looking for a 1st line backup, I personally recommend an external drive attached directly to your Mac and use SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner to create a bootable backup rather than using Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
40 views and not one bit of advice?

Um, you posted this at 4:14 AM...most people aren't awake then.

Try some patience and be grateful when you get an answer. Mac-Forums is not a real-time chat service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.