CPU temps

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

sorry to start another thread about cpu temps. but i had done a search of what the powerbook cpu should be running at after i downloaded a widget that displays the CPU temp. my widget shows a CPU temp of 55.1C so i tried Temperox and it said i was running at 46C. and i downloaded yet another one but dont remember the name and it showed 45C. I had all 3 of the programs running at the same time. the widget temp never changed and neither did the Temperox one. the only one that changed was of course the one i forgot what it was called (should of left all the apps on the computer). it changed from 45C to 44.8C after the fans went on when i ran a few apps to see if any of them changed temps. My question to all is are these temperature measuring programs accurate?? and should we panic at all unless the fans are running at full speed all the time? (i also test the same programs on my mac mini with the same results(the minis beging temps were about 2degrees lower than my powerbook) and all programs where set to fast updating of less than 5sec between readings)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my powerbook is running at 62.5 at the moment, so i don't think you have to worry about anything.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

but is that temp accurate? cuse diffrent programs give me diffrent temp readings.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Biturbo V12 AMG said:
but is that temp accurate? cuse diffrent programs give me diffrent temp readings.

How often do the programs refresh?

OP
B

Bmw M Power05

I have the same question as Biturbo V12 AMG. My powerbook is running a constant 29-31c temp. It seems kind of cold as compared to others, is this something to worry about?

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

so far after talking with others i know with powerbooks these temp monitoring programs dont seem to be accurate at all. my friends powerbook reads 30C and with the same program mine says 50C thats a 20C diffrence for computers just running Ichat. we both keep our houses really cool about 72-74 degrees so its not the room temp making the diffrence.

OP
Y

yubozhao

different programs use different methods calulate the cpu temp. the best way to find out the temp of your pb is read the heat senors from your pb(i think there is a widget for that). well most of the time, different program give different readings but they are awfully close. you just have to choose one at stay with it... it just like a clock, under 5 mins off is not a big issue.
p.s. excuse my poor english

OP
Y

yubozhao

Biturbo V12 AMG said:
my friends powerbook reads 30C and with the same program mine says 50C thats a 20C diffrence for computers just running Ichat. we both keep our houses really cool about 72-74 degrees so its not the room temp making the diffrence.

ok there are few possible problem
1. the position of the pbs, sometime if the AC blow to pb without anything blocking the way, the temp reading can be way cooler than other pb under same room temp.
2. the heat senors of your friends might be broken(the one with 20c degree)
3.the air flow of your pb. if yours are put on the desk without any heat sinker. it will be higher temp than one with heat sink

Reaction score
I could be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the Powerbook ( mine is the Ultimate 15") temperature sensor is not realtime. It samples it once during start up...but does not update afterwards.

OP
H

Harryc

Using the CPU heat widget my iBook runs at a constant 36.5*C. This is a G4, so it would run cooler than the powerbooks. It updates once every second I believe. I can sit there and watch it change by 1/10's of a degree, so it looks fairly accurate. Ambient room temp here is 27*C.

OP
P

PassionMeat

Redbrick said:
I could be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that the Powerbook ( mine is the Ultimate 15") temperature sensor is not realtime. It samples it once during start up...but does not update afterwards.

I think that's true. My pb 17 will display the temp accurately at startup, but never changes. If I want an updated temp reading, I have to restart the computer! Is there anyway to change this, or is this some kind of bug with the new pb 17's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
PassionMeat said:
I think that's true. My pb 17 will display the temp accurately at startup, but never changes. If I want an updated temp reading, I have to restart the computer! Is there anyway to change this, or is this some kind of bug with the new pb 17's?

I get real time on my powerbook 15" but mine is new, how old is yours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Bmw M Power05 said:
I have the same question as Biturbo V12 AMG. My powerbook is running a constant 29-31c temp. It seems kind of cold as compared to others, is this something to worry about?

As long as your PB is running smoothly, there is nothing to worry about. This advice would go to anyone concerned about CPU temps. I have had PBs that seemed to run hotter than the surface of the sun, but I never had any problems or issues with their performance. IMO, temp monitors are informative, but really don't offer too much assistance. They seem to freak alot of people out and make them worry about their computer, without any real cause or reason.
I see it like this:
IF you truly feel that there is a drop in overall performance, and
IF you feel that the PB temp is too high, then check the temp.
If it is running over 70 C, then you may want to look into ways to cool it.
Be it a cooling mat/stand, lowering the room temp or cutting back on running apps, just find some way to see if you can lower the temp. Another good idea is upping the RAM. This causes less stress on the HD and CPU as more information can be sent to the RAM's cache; thereby the CPU does a little less work and won't run as hot.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU temp if I were you. Even with the average temp of the three found by the OP, your PB is not anywhere near a "danger zone".
:black:

Reaction score
is there a way to tell the temp of an iMac G5 or no worries there?

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
I get real time on my powerbook 15" but mine is new, how old is yours?

I've got the Ultimate Powerbook 15" G4 1.67 Ghz (~3 months old), and it does not do realtime temp. monitoring. Unless I read incorrectly...I just read from Temperature monitor site that the problem is from Mac OS X.... The system is capable of realtime monitoring... :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.