Finding IP of Shared Devices

Reaction score
Hi, when I am on my network, on the finder sidebar I can see the name of shared pc's and other devices i am connected to. I can access the files fine, but how do I find out what the IP address of those computers are? Get info doesn't show anything important.

I am running OS X 10.6.4. If it helps computers connected are running a combination of windows 7, XP, and Vista. I also have a networked hard drive as well.

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Try pinging your subnet broadcast address from Terminal. That should at least give you the IPs of all devices on your local network segment. Get the IP of your machine (I assume you know how to get it) then use its network address along with the broadcast address which is 255.

For example, if my home IP is 192.168.0.197 then I ping 192.168.0.255 to list all the devices on my network. That might not tell you what device belongs to a particular IP but you can go further with other command-line tools if you need to once you have the IP address.

OP
A
Reaction score
I know I can find the IP addresses of everything by going into the router's configuration page, but there must be some simple easy way of doing it with just a few clicks, right?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you don't like ukchuck's method, you could open your browser, click the link to your router that's sitting on the Bookmarks Toolbar, click the 1Password icon - Login - to auto log you into the router, then look at the page that opens for all the IP addresses it's currently handing out (at least my router shows that info on the 1st page). Total of 4 clicks, including opening the browser, 3 if you already have the browser open.

OP
A
Reaction score
It still doesn't help me with dealing how to figure out which IP goes to which device without testing them (not all of them are computers so many do not have names on the router, but they still have names when showing up under "Shared" in the finder).

Reaction score
Once you have the IPs, if you want to map it to a DNS name use nslookup from Terminal. There's no real easy way to perform network diagnostics. What I showed you is probably the easiest approach. It doesn't get easier than a one liner.

nslookup <ip address> will give the DNS name if it has one. What you see in Finder is the computer name, not the DNS name so that's a bigger problem to discover. You can try Bonjour Browser (Google for it) but your mileage will likely vary. I've never used it so I can't comment. I usually go command-line for this kind of stuff.

Cheers, UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Try Bonjour Browser
Tildesoft
It will show you what is on your network - along with what the IP address is and the associated port as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.