Parallels destroyed my Windows XP partition!

Reaction score
I imported my bootcamp partition into the parallels 6 virtual machine and at first it worked fine, but then I played Fallout 3, and it crashed when I tried to load the save. Then I turned off the windows xp partition inside the parallels window, and it installed a few updates before shutting down. I DID NOT FORCE SHUTDOWN, OR UNPLUG MY COMPUTER, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I quit parallels and then reboot my mac and use my windows xp bootcamp partition. After a few seconds a message shows on the black screen saying,

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows>\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I reboot my mac and this time use Mac OSX. My windows xp partition hard disk named "Bootcamp" is missing on my desktop... :mad:

I try to use my partition with parallels, and the same message appears. I have no idea how or why this happened! After Fallout 3 crashed in parallels, there was a message saying cleaning corrupt files or something! It recommended a full scan, but I declined when that came up! It doesn't make sense! Windows XP wouldn't delete itself! If anyone has information on how to back up any data from my windows partion or knows how to recover it, please help! Any information will help me figure out what has happened! I was about to beat Fallout 3 and Half-Life on there, and now all those saves are gone!

BTW - this is the second time I'm writing this because the first time, i accidentally clicked tab and it went to the previous page! >:O grrrrr....! but that won't happen again because I copy and pasted everything I wrote so if I mess up again, I can just paste instead of writing all this down again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See the following article which explains how to repair Windows when the missing "hal.dll" error occurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.