MBP Trackpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
My 2009 MBP has been having some trouble recently.

My trackpad isn't working very well on the right side. It will only register a click if I push down considerably hard. This is because I have always used the right side of the trackpad for my clicking.

I notice that it is slightly more indented on the right side compared to the left side.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to fix it. Possibly placing something underneath something... Not really sure. Applecare is gone (Buy Applecare!!!) and I did not renew it.

Please don't give me the Steve Jobs answer of "You're using it wrong."

EDIT:

Tapping works perfectly along with the left side of the trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
My iBook is the same way. But opposite. Left side is practically dead, right side still clicks fine. You get used to it after a while. I don't know if it repairable or not though...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Seems like a huge flaw...

I'm pretty disappointed right now and probably won't be buying another MBP with a similar design anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems like a huge flaw...

I'm pretty disappointed right now and probably won't be buying another MBP with a similar design anytime soon.

Hey, they wear out. Not really a design flaw, just wears out. A heart can only beat so many times, same as a trackpad can only click so may times...Not a flaw, just how it works. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Try setting one and two finger tap as a click and right click. Works great for me and I don't have to click the pad as much. I agree with Steve. You are using it wrong;P

I think in the future they will most likely do away with the clicking altogether and use tappings. One less mechanical part to worry about.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hey, they wear out. Not really a design flaw, just wears out. A heart can only beat so many times, same as a trackpad can only click so may times...Not a flaw, just how it works. ;P
1.5 years is all they're designed to last? If so, I won't buy another.

Try setting one and two finger tap as a click and right click. Works great for me and I don't have to click the pad as much. I agree with Steve. You are using it wrong;P

I think in the future they will most likely do away with the clicking altogether and use tappings. One less mechanical part to worry about.
I normally use the touch to click so I can't imagine if I were to only push down on the trackpad... Certain programs and games need to have a physical click in order to use some functions so a touch won't do.

Anyone have any ideas? I feel like I am driving a Mercedes but can only hold the steering wheel with my left hand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 years is all they're designed to last? If so, I won't buy another.

Anyone have any ideas? I feel like I am driving a Mercedes but can only hold the steering wheel with my left hand!

Well... 1.5 years is pretty bad. Are you sure you aren't clicking like mad? :D But a USB or Bluetooth mouse should work fine. Only use the trackpad if you're on the go or using it in your lap.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else with the unibody MacBooks or MBPs have this issue.

I think these things have a lower tolerance to clicking than normal trackpads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.