Overheating and Fan RPM

Reaction score
Hi i own a Macbook pro A1211 late 2006, 2.33ghz intel core 2 duo , 120 gb , 2 gb Ram,Mac OS X 10.6 . My MBP began overheating when i was watching a movie, it got up to 90`C , i thought this was normal until it crashed. I bean investigating and downloaded Istat pro and montored my MBP. with this i contorled that i didnt reach that temp again. As i not only wanted to control the temp by stoping what i was doing i also downloaded smc Fancontrol to overlock RPM on the fans. This seemed to work and works well i dont get t o 90`C and havent craqshed again but the fans are always at 6000 Rpm even if i am not doing anything in my MBP, or they go from 2000 to 6000 with no appranet reason. This is annoying because it makes it too loud to work in class and i dont know if this can brak the fans in my MBP. Does anyone know why this could be happening? I have stop using smcfancontrol because i seems to stop it but as soon as i do any activity they go back to 6000 Rpm. If somebody can hel me i would rrealy appreciate it. Thank you very much.

PD:I dont have the instalation dics so i cant do an apple hardware test.

OP
F
Reaction score
Also if some one knows the normal temp of the compnents, CPU i the one that reaches more temp than the others. I basically want to know if there is any problem with fans sensors heatsinks etc..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have the same model. I've run it a great number of hours at 80-90C while gaming.
Mine is beginning to show some of the same signs of the fans running at higher than normal rpms with fewer and less demanding processes being open. At this point, I'm of the opinion that it's time to crack it open and clean the fans. It's been a couple years since I've done it. If you've never done so, that's probably the first step I'd recommend.

I don't run any of those monitoring apps any longer. But, I'd say this one has run in the 55-60C range if I'm doing anything since the day I brought it home. Below 50 is a rare occasion on this chip. Far cry from the 21-25 at normal and maybe hitting 40C under full load I tried to maintain on my last overclocked rig.

OP
F
Reaction score
I already cleaned the computer inside, the problem now is the fluctuation of the RPM Do you know where an i get the recovery Dvds for this model? or download them if there is ay other option. thanks for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The fans are not controlled by the OS, but the SMC/EFI. This is a fairly low-level function and a reinstall is probably not warranted. If you want to go down this path, the first thing I'd do would be to create a new user account and log into it and see if the problem persists.

Also note that it's not just the fans that need to be cleaned, but also the duct tract. How thorough were you in cleaning?

System discs are available from Apple parts. I've heard they tend to run around $40. Alternatively, you could just upgrade to Snow Leopard for $30.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for you help.....I am going to try creating a new account and see what happens. What concerns me at this point is that the MBP is idle 97% and and temp is overall 60`C and fans are 6000 Rpm. i am beging to think that because fans are going so fast are making the core hotter. I understand when i am doing something that demands a lot from the MBP, but not when it is idle they should not reach those speeds. If you could tell me how to upload a screenshot to the forum so you an see, when i am watching a movie it trys to stop as if it was stuttering. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.